1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It can be a lot of fun but at the same time very boring and frustrating. You can spend days roaming around and when the action starts there's no way to get to the spot you need to be at to get good shots. Catching a tornado is actually easier than getting top notch lightning pics. Oh and the money you'll spend chasing is just plain nuts too.

Yeah the difference between 1.8 and 1.4 isn't that great. The biggest difference between the two lenses is build quality. You get better glass, better lens coatings, better internal mechanics and so on. All of this adds up to better IQ. You would be way better off spending the 400 bucks. If nothing else you have a lens that you can resell and recover a good chunk of what you paid. Not so with the 1.8. Go to the camera store with your camera and try both lenses. Then go home and look the images over. I believe you're camera shoots some type of RAW file. Use that mode and output hi res jpegs to use for your comparison. I can assure you you'll see a significant difference between the two lenses in sharpness, contrast and color.

1 person likes this.
  2. rublev

rublev Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Taken with my iphone over the last couple of months. Finally upgraded my phone from an old brick, so this is pretty much the closest i've got to digital in a while.

3 people like this.
  3. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

4. snowboardpunk

snowboardpunk Senior member

Not sure what Im looking at....

And to kingjulien, it really depends.

Most people go against what crane is saying... Nifty fifty is super cheap for what it is. I would def recommend buying it. for 100 dollars it gives you that low light performance. But the thing you have to figure out is, is the 50mm ok for you? Personally, I had to the nifty fifty but it was too long, so I got the 35 f/2 and worked perfectly for me. But then upgraded to the fuji x-e1 with the kit lens. If you arent doing professional work and just want to practice, its perfect for you. You could also probably sell it on Craigslist when you want to upgrade and only lose like 30 dollars or so.

5. snowboardpunk

It also depends on your shooting style and what you want to shoot. It is super cheap just to see if you like it or not.

6. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Keep in mind where I'm at though. If I up my budget from $100 to $400:
    • I could get a tripod and the cheaper lens
    • I could get a flash and the cheaper lens
    • I could get a 35mm instead of the 50 (I'm using a crop-sensor)

Yea, this was what I was thinking. I suspect I'd get more use out of a good 35, but this is a cheap way to find out. Anyway, I'm going to walk to a local camera shop after work and if it really feels chintzy / the autofocus is too annoying, I'll pass on it.

7. rublev

rublev Senior member

Is this in reply to the pictures i posted? I hope so because that's the point. I'm glad it instills some confusion.

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

In that regard you would be wrong. No photographer would ever argue against getting better glass. My advice about going to a camera store and trying both lenses is sound. His main complaint is the lens is soft at 50mm. By personally comparing both 50s side by side means he makes an informed decision based on his own personal experience. Lab results and other users experiences are useful in helping make that decision but should always be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not sure I follow your reasoning about professional work and practicing either when it comes to lens selection. Care to explain that a little more?

9. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

The main difference between 1.4 and 1.8 is that the 1.4 will be sharper sooner.

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

That's not true either. Some lenses resolve best 2 stops down and others 3 or 4 or more. Again the primary difference between these two lenses is build quality.

11. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

Pro photog here and I would argue against it. In this scenario anyways.

KJ - don't get bogged down with a bunch of gear talk. It's for pros and pixel peepers and gear collectors, IMO. It's too confusing and no one really cares. 50mm 1.8 is great for where it sounds like you're at right now. Upgrade to a 1.4 if you eventually feel like you need to (I will bet money that you never will). 1.4 is unquestionably a better lens, but the 1.8 will get you 98% of the way there. Especially over the garbage Canon kit lenses.

Resale value no good on a 1.8? Perfect, buy one used. Or buy it new and you'll be out a whole 50 bucks if you a sell of a loss of 50% (doubtful). My $125 Nikkor 50mm 1.8 is probably the sharpest lens I own (never made huge prints to compare though......)

I'd also recommend a 35mm on a cropped sensor. I found 50mm frustratingly long most of the time on my crop cameras, but maybe that's just me. Buy whatever and just go shoot.

2 people like this.
  12. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness

Best advice.

If you can handle it in store that's even better

I agree about the 35 on a cropped sensor (giving you equivalent to a 50 on 35mm which shouldn't be a standard anymore but it is so that's that) great for walking around

13. rublev

rublev Senior member

Honestly, most of the time i see it as 95% individual / 5% camera. I used to spend ages deliberating over spec on one of my first digital cameras and spent quite a bit of cash, probably in the hope that it would let me take better photographs (it didn't). Now i'm happiest with a XA2 i got on ebay for £10 or my Contax T2 point and shoot. The most important thing happened in my brain and eyes. I don't mind people talking detail and spec, and if you're doing a specific type of work that requires specific lenses then fair enough, but it's just not my thing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Yeah I'm not a gear head at all and have no desire to be, I just a) want to try out a prime with a low barrier of entry and b) want a cheap lens that could make up for some of the deficiencies of the one i currently have (namely poor low-light capabilities, bulk, and lack of sharpness in many environments). The 35 might get more use and is probably an eventual buy, but I'd prefer to use what I have for awhile before dropping that much. This is what I'm using now (bought used for about 250):
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-28-135m...8&qid=1379984646&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+28-135

15. snowboardpunk

That's actually what I don't agree with it. Yes the 50 1.8 is plastic but its a great value for what it is. And if you were going to sell out the cash for the 50 1.4 you might as well pick up a used sigma 30 1.4. the old one and not the new art version.

Dont worry about gear, but something that fits your shooting style. If you want a walk around lens with low light capability id probably go for the 30 1.4 from sigma since the 50 is a bit long as a walk around. Or buy a the sigma 17-50 2.8 which is also a nice walk around lens that gives you some flexibility.

16. snowboardpunk

Use your lens right now and set it to 50 mm and 30mm. if the 50 feels long get the 30. if the 50 is good enough get that. It would be no point in buying something you wont be using enough because its too long. Which is what happened to me. I bought the 50 1.8 because everyone recommended it. It is an amazing lens for the price but it just was too long. I never got the shots I wanted. So from the beginning you might as well spend that extra couple hundred and just buy the 30 or 35 if thats what you need. After shooting a while I realized 18mm is perfect for me I like wider shots especially since I do a 1 to 1 crop for instagram.

1 person likes this.
  17. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

£849 for the new Fuji 23mm lens, ridiculous.

18. troika

troika Senior member

Anyone here shoot DSLR video as well?

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yes, but very simple stuff.

20. snowboardpunk

Seriously super expensive.... But I still want it.... XD