1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TheChefs

TheChefs Well-Known Member

Thanks, 308s works great for 99% of my photos. Every single photo I've posted on this page was metered with it. If it meant shoving the meter in random peoples faces to get the light correct. That's what I did. Even for the guy with the cut-throat razor. The great thing about it is, that it's small and I can carry it with me anywhere. Works just as great with my dslr and exposure is always spot on, best photography device ever and it doesn't matter what camera you have now or in the future.

I also do strobe photography and it helps me get my manual flashlights right on the first go.

The only reason I want the more advanced L758 is the spot meter. I shoot fair bit of Kodak E100VS and since it is discontinued I want to nail every single frame and I don't want to waste any of it. I think it looks gorgeous, but it can be tricky where there is high contrast and then there's need for a bit of zone metering. On the other hand it is bigger, heavier and it uses funky batteries.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

So my dilemma now is, buy a light meter or an sq-a metered finder...

3. TheChefs

Easy, hand held incident lightmeter.
    Metered finder = extra 500g of glass to carry around and inaccurate TTL exposure.

For example, if you take a photo of a white wall using prism meter, it will look grey. Next take a photo of a black wall, it will look the same grey.
    With incident meter white is white, black is black. And I'm sure you will get a lot more keepers, you will just have to get used to working with it.

[​IMG]
    portra400_016.jpg by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    portra400_015.jpg by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ektar040.jpg by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    ektar034.jpg by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    10 people like this.
  4. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

TheChefs, your photography is awesome, perfect composition!

Last weekend I did some shooting at the Grand Prix of Baltimore. It was my first time shooting motorsports (but hopefully not my last !).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The full set can be found here.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    6 people like this.
  5. TheChefs

Gravitas, nice photos and they capture the action. You should try some panning shots, they blur out the background and capture the speed. But they are difficult to do. But that's why they are great!

Thanks for the complement, composure is something that I've been reading/studying and practicing for the past 6 months and it's slowly paying off. I think my photos are slowly becoming better, but they still need work. Also the huge viewfinders on old manual focus cameras make composing a lot easier, the medium format ones practically look 3d. Unfortunately it's harder to capture action on them.

[​IMG]
    portra400_021.jpg by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

3 people like this.
  6. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

The constant struggle between wanting to take good photos and not wanting to demolish your camera while headbanging along to a DJ Producer set.

[​IMG]

7. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

8. troika

troika Senior member

Some snaps from a recent trip to Israel & Barca. All except for like 2-3 are straight out of camera, too lazy for proper post.
    Although my main camera is a 7D, these were all shot on a t1i with a tamron 17-50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. sikeee

sikeee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

I went to glacier NP and took a course with AMS (Alaska mountaineering school)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lots o pictures

27 people like this.
  11. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Stunning
    For how long were you there?

12. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

thanks! A week in Montana and 2 weeks with AMS

13. IronKnochs

IronKnochs Senior member

I've had a Canon 1100D DSLR with a few lenses for a while now and I'm looking to sell it and get something more compact for street photography. Depending on how much I can flog it for, I've got about £400, what would you dudes recommend? Was considering grabbing a second hand Fuji x100.

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

You guys got to learn how to live a bit more dangerously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Each and every one of those is stellar.

1 person likes this.
  16. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

I've been using a canon 40d with kit lens for awhile now, but I was thinking of buying a 50mm prime. The lens I have now just doesn't take very sharp photos, and it would only be about $100.

17. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Sharpness is controlled by more than just the lens. ISO can play a part in sharpness, so can shutter speed and camera settings. Lenses also have a tendency to be the sharpest stopped down a few stops from wide open. Also keep in mind looking at a full size image on a computer screen isn't a good indicator of sharpness as well. To do it properly you need to look at a print done up by a lab. That doesn't mean Walmart, it means someplace like Mpix. In general sharpness is judged by a print done at 5 times the size of the film plane. For practical purposes an 8 by 10 print is what you want. Also the file type and output dpi is very important. A compressed 72 dpi image looks like crap and won't print worth a hoot either. A 350 dpi uncompressed file on the other hand is good enough for large prints and magazines. Then there's something else called the circle of confusion. That's another matter altogether. Only one distance in your image will be in critical focus. Everything else will not be in focus. You control this with depth of field. The smaller the f stop the greater the depth of what appears to be in focus.

So don't be in a hurry to buy more glass. That f1.8 50 you're talking about is a cheap lens. Cheap and glass are two things that don't play well together. The f1.4 50 is a much better piece of glass. If you want to do better than that then you look at the full frame lenses. When used on an APS-C camera full frame lenses work great and if you ever end up with say a 5D MKIII you'll be set with lenses.

My portrait lens is a full frame Zeiss Planar T 85mm f1.4. This lens is considered to be the portrait lens no matter what camera body you use. It's an absolutely phenomenal lens but it also costs 1700 bucks. Do most people need something like this? The answer is no. I get paid to shoot portraits and weddings so good equipment tends to make my job easier not to mention it's less likely to break in the middle of a job.

Anyway buy once and buy smart.

18. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

some day i'd like to quit everything and chase storms around.

[​IMG]

excuse the crappy quality it's an iphone video screen shot.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    7 people like this.
  19. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Well, I'm trying to have a minimal investment at this point while still having some room to practice. My current lens only goes down to an f-stop of about 5 at 50mm, which is pretty limiting. The difference between 5 and 1.8 is huge compared to the difference between 1.8 and 1.4 for a beginner, and the 1.4 is $400 compared to the $100 of what I was considering.

I haven't ruled out your advice, I was just thinking I might be better off getting the cheaper lens and going with a 80mm if I decide I want to spend more on the hobby.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  20. slstr

slstr Senior member

The 1.8 takes great photos and is going to be more than good enough for any non-professional. The build quality isn't great, though.

1 person likes this.