***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

I'm finally, finally getting serious about photography and purchasing a camera. At the moment I'm just trying to read up on as much camera basics as possible—mostly stuff to do with exposure at the moment—but I don't suppose the "real" learning will begin until I've got my hands on a functioning camera. I want the control that DSLRs offer, but all I've read concerning mirrorless camera systems suggests that they're just as good (despite the lack of optical view). If anyone has any particular recommendations for reading material (there's a pretty good public library nearby, but I'm sure there are good online forums such as this one) or actual cameras (I'll hopefully find something good used in downtown Chicago), that would certainly help.

In any case, it's just nice to go through this thread and get a feel for what's possible with a decent-to-great camera and some skill.

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

^ If you want DSLR like control but like the form factor of mirrorless, maybe look into Fuji's offerings? The X100S gives you an awesome hybrid optical/digital viewfinder, but with a fixed lens. They have others with interchangeable lens systems...

Awesome.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness

hello, i think you've hit the nail right on the head here, so to speak, whether you knew it or not. no matter how many reviews you read and how many recs you get, there's no real substitute for handling a setup and getting a feel for the workings of the system, how it physically feels, shooting, changing lenses if necessary/possible, etc etc.

and the second line is something oft-ignored, even the best camera in the world is still a computer (speaking about digital here), a series of chips processing digitized information, the camera, despite many advances, doesn't see what you're looking at, and so it tries to make due as best it can but you cannot program intuition (yet?) into it. so your technical development as a photographer will really carry you much farther than latest and greatest offering--something that is replaced in 6 months time anyway. don't fret too much about specs, how many more mega giga peta pixels one has over another, and if you play around with a few, check out B&H, J&R, Adorama, ePray, and you can get a very decent setup for cheap. I wouldn't venture too far back in time, say cut off a 12MP if you're looking at canon DSLRs, but certainly a 60D or the smaller rebel T3i/T4i systems. Same with Nikon.

Just don't fall in the trap of megapixel-obsession and lens hoarding unless that's what you want because how often will you really go out with 3+ lenses and how many megapixels do you think can be squeezed on a sensor of the same size (in fact, this results in poor noise-to-ISO ration when you crank it up...)

hope this was useful in some capacity, i may have repeated myself here so i apologize to others. i will get back to posting selon l'aperçu zapatiste ...

PS i didn't know you're in chi town , but now i know :)

4. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

spent the holiday in the adirondacks. never seen so many stars...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

behance and wix are a good place to start for portfolios if you haven't looked into them already.

6. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Just got this book today:

[​IMG]

His work is insanely beautiful.

7. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

8. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

Went camping in northern Arkansas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

tent picture is it

10. sikeee

sikeee Well-Known Member

11. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    Really wanted to try getting some star trails but the holiday weekend proved far too overcast, replete with night time showers to cool off

Went to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

13. irbe

irbe Senior member

Stickshift, tent pic is cool

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Love this one! What was your exposure time on that?

15. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

That's a pretty amazing work! I shot a bunch of pics of it a few years ago at Grounds for Sculpture. Unfortunately I was there at 1pm on a bright sunny day. I remember having no idea what to do with the images in Lightroom since I was so unhappy with the lighting, but this one was ok I guess.
    [​IMG]