• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D: End of the World Challenge - Your Last Outfit

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prologue
You jolt upright in your bed. You're exhausted and you should be asleep. You look around for the source of the disturbance that interrupted your slumber, but it is pitch black and eerily quiet. You are alone in your room. You try the light but nothing happens. You check your phone but there is no service and the battery is nearly dead. The TV is no good either, nor the radio. The power must have gone out. And where is everyone? You go to check the circuit breaker and that's when you hear them. They sound like sirens wailing mournfully in the distance. Warning alarms of some kind, maybe; they are far away but persistent. You imagine that you can hear the faint sound of a woman screaming but it stops abruptly. The hairs on the back of your neck begin to stand up. Something is very, very wrong. You go back to bed. It's better to wait it out until morning for more information you rationalise. You're safe here at least. For now anyway.

Two days pass. You haven't left your home and no one has come looking for you. You can't see anything out of the ordinary from your window. The sirens persist but other than that you have no other information. You're alone, confused and you're hungry. Very, very hungry. All the food has been eaten now and the water stopped working yesterday. You need to go out. You have no idea what is out there, or who is out there. You have no information but you are fairly certain something terrible has happened. Nuclear war, a terrorist attack, maybe even something supernatural. You've run all the possibilities through your head a thousand times, but in the end there is only one certainty: if you stay in this house any longer, you will certainly perish. You've made up your mind, you're going out. But you'll have to pack light. Who knows when, or if you'll be back. You need food, you need information and you want to find out where the others have gone.

You go to your closet and survey the clothing in front of you. You've spent a great deal of effort and money curating this wardrobe but now it's time to pick just one outfit. Choose well, it may very well be your last.

The Challenge
After watching Steel Dawn yesterday at 3AM, I decided in order to create a fun, entertaining and also inclusive theme for this challenge, that we'd explore what outfits we'd wear for the end of the world. I've noticed over the past few years of posting here that many posters are fans of science fiction, so I thought this may be an appropriate outlet to express your creativity among friends; while still keeping it focused on the clothing. While I know that some posters, such as Spacepope, may seem more suited to this challenge than others who don't have that dark, post-apocalyptic vibe, like Stanley Van Buren, I think it would still be interesting, if not more so, to see what posters of the latter style would do following an extinction level event. A variety of takes on this theme would be great to see.

I'm curious not only regarding what clothes people would choose but why they have chosen them. Will you face the end in your best formal suit that you couldn't bear to leave behind? Are you taking your toughest leather to brave roving gangs of biker punks? Do you get goosebumps thinking of the sick fades that would be possible on your raw denim? Just how many sandwiches COULD you fit in that Rick Owens jacket? Are you going to be decked out in all black with the latest high tech synthetics to avoid detection from whatever nefarious force has ushered in this cataclysmic event? You decide and tell us your plan. I'd like to see bags and other kinds of carrying gear since you'll most likely never be returning home, but they are not mandatory. I'd also love to see some discussion beyond the submissions themselves; in a similar vein to the thread recently started about different approaches to building a wardrobe. The narrative element introduced by Rosenrot last challenge delivered quite a few entertaining stories as well and I'd like to encourage that as an option, but it is not compulsory. Feel free to draw on my introduction, or to rewrite it as you see fit, however try to keep it with the "end of the world" theme.

For those who haven't participated in a challenge yet, I think this would be a good one to start. Even if you haven't mastered the art of a good "fit" pic with a timer and expensive camera equipment, a quick mirror "selfie" (imagine it's your last one as you head out the door), some snaps of your garments and a good rationale and maybe a story would still be a very strong contribution.

What you should Prepare for this Challenge
Submissions can include but are not limited to:
- "Fit" pics of your best post-apocalyptic outfit
- Close ups of an individual garment on a hanger or being worn
- A short story of what you'll be doing after leaving your house
- A rationale of why you chose the garments
- Scenery/Environmental photos that can support your submission

An ideal entry may be a photo of your outfit, a close up picture of a jacket or bag you're wearing, a reason for choosing one or more of the items in your outfit, and a short story detailing your environment, your character and the perspective you'll take towards this situation. I'd like to encourage as much participation and discourse as possible. A submission doesn't need to include a fit pic (although if you are trying to win and not just participate, it is more than likely that a winning submission will feature a fit pic; however that is up to the voters on the forum). Feel free to apply filters to your photographs too if you think they lend well to the theme; be creative. This is not a WAYWT thread.

Rules
1. Each submission must have at least one photo (of any content relevant to the theme) and a minimum one sentence long background or rationale.
2. You may enter only one submission, so put more effort into the photographs and prose for your entry.
3. Submissions will be taken from now until the 18th of April (Australian EST).
4. A separate voting thread will be created and the poster with the highest "thumbed" submission wins the right to make the next challenge.

Inspiration

Last edited:

zxcvbn

Reaction score
bounce2.gif

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soundtrack for this challenge?

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
*16 layers of arcteryx, a backpack, and a shovel*

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clothes?

Am I the only one who'd like to face the end of the world naked with at least one other person of the opposite gender in the same state? :embar:

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you're going to have to go find someone to do that with first. You're all alone when you wake up in this scenario and slowly starving to death in isolation. That can be your backstory, MoK: dressing up in your most attractive duds to woo the first maiden fair you encounter in the wastelands for your final hurrah. Good luck!

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rais you're the MAN. No idea what I will do but I will do SOMETHING. How many post-apocalyptic wastrels do we have on this site anyway? Sources say: many.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Took this on Friday so I guess it's not eligible. Still thread relevant I think, looking forwards to what everyone comes up with!

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome photo. Where did you take it?
To be eligible you need a minimum of one photo and at least one sentence either justifying why you would wear that (it's your favourite outfit, it's well made and comfortable, it would help you woo wayward wasteland wenches, etc.) or some kind of background. Leave that pic up as inspiration and either edit in a bit more later or submit a complete entry later before the 18th.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well you're going to have to go find someone to do that with first. You're all alone when you wake up in this scenario and slowly starving to death in isolation. That can be your backstory, MoK: dressing up in your most attractive duds to woo the first maiden fair you encounter in the wastelands for your final hurrah. Good luck!

Attractive duds! I shall rely on my natural wit and charm.

Seriously it's a good challenge, and I'm starting on my research:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Ah -- may have misread your post. If "older" pictures are ok I'll definitely go back and edit my post if I have time!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads