• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D CHALLENGE 1.19.14-- MILITARISM

who are the most dashingly militaristic?

• spacepope

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • hayward

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • futuresailors

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • ghostface

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • nouveau pauvre

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • notwithit

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • diniro

Votes: 53 47.3%
  • caseyfud

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • lorcan7

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • kgfan5

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • benesyed

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • el bert

Votes: 14 12.5%
  • dlester

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • auximenes

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • rais

Votes: 11 9.8%
  • size 38r

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • in stitches

Votes: 19 17.0%
  • snowmanxl

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • lxh

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • synthese

Votes: 25 22.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ghostface

Reaction score
new year, new challenge*. the theme is MILITARISM. interpret as liberally as you'd like. so much of men's fashion has been adapted from military wear: you could reference the ww1 colonel with tall leather boots, the pilot with the oversized ma-1, the guerrilla fighting against techno-fascist big brother in the year 2099, or the 5th century nomadic marauder. the challenge ends at midnight est on sunday, january 19th (i.e., just before it becomes monday). if you've got any inspiration pics to share, post them up. (*although this is listed as an sw&d challenge, everyone is encouraged to participate.) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IB/ZB/TVA/Nicholas K/vtb/KKA/Vintage
Just give bert a pile of clothes on the floor. Danger zone. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
HL Balenciaga KVA HL Esquivel Vintage
in keeping with the helmut theme:
helmut lang moleskin biker jacket helmut lang down vest geller wool/alpaca robo knit plokhov cotton tanker pants vintage combat boots
Loro Piana for Saks coat Homemade scarf Y3 pants Leather chucks
WvG AA Isaora KMW (no vis) Seiko RRL Nice Collective
RO balaclava NDG ballistic vest Facetasm bolero UU shirt NDG pants Veilance gloves Ships General Supply boots, custom ripple sole
Great challenge Ghostface, would have been better for me in summer, but fortunately mild here at the moment.
P.A.M. record hat Rebuild by Needles jacket (made from US military vintage/surplus fabric) Engineered Garments shirt Schiesser Engineered Garments printed corduroy pants Tricker's
2lefRx2.png
TEj2N9S.png
lupfer ma1 jacket margiela sweater ann cargo pants vintage combat boots edit: consolidated pics
not as thematic as you guys but wanted to play :)
Helmut Lang vest Fujiwara oversized knit Number (N)ine strap pants Marsell boots
my first participation to a challenge some tee MMM knit KKA coat UP jeans AMD boots
Haven't posted a fit on SF before but I can only wear this jacket one month of the year where I live, so I thought I'd contribute to the thread.
i really like this challenge, perhaps it could become a full-time thread? Frye Boots, Iron heart pants, Helmut Lang t-shirt, Uniqlo turtleneck, old military coat,J-Press scarf, Chloe gloves, and driving cap.
Inspired by a number of the pics posted here.
myga8a3e.jpg
5eqy9ury.jpg
qe9e3e3a.jpg
NC/RL/Quicksilver/RL/RW
Hi gaiz. Feeling sick but I wanted to participate! Raf digi camo Prada parachute vest Peir boiled wool Kva combat boots
[COLOR=808080]SI:SP | Outlier | Rokin [/COLOR]
from waywt the other day Cloak B-3 shearling Alexandre Plokhov extended back jumper Void the Brand extended back tee Surplus military riding (?) pants (leggings) Ann Demeulemeester boots Silent envelope bag
M8yvDxml.jpg
ii9sbbAl.jpg

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would an old-schoolish fit with derbies qualify?

or should I attempt something postapocalyptic/futuristic instead?

and I'm assuming you can only submit one fit, correct?

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can mix militarism with post apocalypsis, kinda what spope did it up there. Or like sam worthington´s character on "Terminator Salvation"

ghostface

Reaction score

Do I win?
whoa. you definitely win best backdrop. what's the context here?
would an old-schoolish fit with derbies qualify?
i can't tell just from that description. are you thinking of something formal/officer-ish?
and I'm assuming you can only submit one fit, correct?
i think that's probably best. or maybe post several but indicate which one of them you want to be used in the final poll.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
whoa. you definitely win best backdrop. what's the context here?

That was while I was deployed doing an ammo burn in the desert. That pit was the size of about two tractor trailers and ~3 feet high. Mostly HE 50 cal, 7.62, 9mm and 12 Stingers I think. I figured you guys might want some modern military inspiration!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads