• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW: Color Palette

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discuss your colors you tend to wear, and why, and what colors you feel you need to branch into, and color combos. I will reply tomorrow as I am going to sleep, but the main reason I say this is I feel I have too much of the same colors.

Four tops i've bought in the last year all in grey:
APC Cardigan
JCrew Funnel Neck
NDG High Neck
NDG Shawl Collar

Now is there really a need for 4 grey tops like this? This is what I am getting at...

I have lots more to add tomorrow when I have time. Discuss!!

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blue for me. I have three or four sweaters in very similar shades. My most recent ex started me on dark greens and browns, so I'm currently working on the green. Still unsure about brown.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much stick to only dark brown leathers, indigo denim, gray sweaters, and white shirts, usually with deep red or navy patterns. I'm pretty sure I'm a "winter," so those dark colors are supposed to make me look shmexy or something like that.

adamha21

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of navy blue, gray and charcoal. Forest Green is another favorite of mine. I really need to branch out. I'd like to add a splash of red, royal blue and yellow if the right piece came along.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Black, black, black... a bit more black. None more black, if you will. If I branch into others it's usually white, grey, red, maroon/crimson, and various shades of blue. But yeah, no surprise. My spring jacket is black, both winter jackets, my overcoat for suits? Yup. Two pair of black denim which I wear more than my indigo. The designers I really like keep it black, grey, or white generally. But it's also a no-brainer and safe. I really don't like branching into browns and warm colors because I don't have the wardrobe to support it. Yellows are horrible for my complexion and I just generally don't like green. And allow me to share with my SF brethren: I associate such colors with ******* hippies and crappy thirfted clothes. The best association I've got is the workwear trend, but that's not really where I want to go. I've gotten a few versatile pieces so I'm trying at least. Ideally, I'd build a gothninja fall/winter look; Jil Sander/Raf, Ervell or BoO spring/summer. So there're chances for color there. This s/s I'd love to incorporate some bright orange, bright and baby blues, and purple.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Black, black, black... a bit more black. None more black, if you will. If I branch into others it's usually white, grey, red, maroon/crimson, and various shades of blue.

But yeah, no surprise.

So yeah, you name yourself after a Smiths song, and black is what you wear on the outside.

May I hazard a guess that it's because black is what you are on the inside?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
No, that's a terrible thing to say. Terribly, horribly hurt.

The funny things is (and this will probably get me flamed by some pissed off fan) I don't really like the Smiths. I heard "Panic" looooong ago and at that moment it encapsulated my adolescent anger at the radio. Nothing else people played for me got more than "meh." The name is just a holdover from using it on since deleted boards. Just much, much easier than thinking of another name.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really like wearing bright colours.

You can lump me into the "everything I own is grey" category, though I do try to mix in blues and some black and white.

It's just easier that way, because I can mix and match almost everything I own and make the most of a few pieces. If I always had to worry about clashing colours, my wardrobe would have to be three times as big.

I do, however, like brown, tan and oxblood shoes and have some ties with red or brown on them.

It does feel weird to say "grey is my favourite colour".

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main color is definitly various shades of blue, mostly in the indigo spectra, from darkest navy to pale blue. I mostly combine blue with earth tones, and darker greys since I feel its coherent and harmonic.

A standard color scheme for me would be light blue shirt, dark blue jacket, dark khaki pants and brown shoes. I really like red aswell, but cant find that much good stuff. Im a big fan of the vibrant tricolor combination (think 45rpm), but mostly I end up more drab and old man like...

Id like to branch out a little to forest greens and more reds.

bike756

Reaction score
In the winter, I am almost etirely dressed in blue, black, and brown, often at the same time.

Summer sees lots of green.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I either go with the black/grey/white/maroon/burgundy
or Navy/Grey/White/other blues

I need to change this up, add more vibrant colors here and there, it is hard to do effectively though.

Feel free to post good fits that bring out colors in ways you find interesting

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like bright colors

but this winter been wearing a lot of navy and black. some grey but I dont think i've ever worn this much navy (tops, jackets, suits, trousers, jeans obviously) ever before

burgundy is my #1 go to color and I always wear it year round

erbs

Reaction score
Navy
Grey
Charcoal
Black
White

I have a pair of red shorts that I wear occasionally in the summer, but that's about it for bright colors. Green, yellow, and the other "earthy" colors don't really work for me, although I will wear brown shoes.

In the summer I will wear very light khaki shorts or chinos, but no khaki in the winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics