Sutor Mantellassi, questions and pictures

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Renault78law, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Some random thoughts and questions: I know that Mantellassi makes a few different lines, does anyone know what line this shoe comes from? Â They retailed for $750 at NM, I got them for approx $360. Â That strikes me as a decent deal *shrug*. We don't discuss Mantellassi's too often on the forum, and I was wondering how these stack up to other shoes. I've been looking for a pair of wholecuts for a while, but to be honest I like the Weymouths better. Â I think I'll see what turns up at the Barneys warehouse sale before deciding whether I'm going to keep these. I can see a line of stitching on the inside of the sole, which leads me to believe they are blake stitched, or maybe hybrid? Â Any ideas? The leather is thick yet very supple. They seem like they'd be very comfortable shoes. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

3. Renault78law

Thanks Urban Warrior. I had actually read that thread before creating my own. The soles of your shoes look cooler than mine [​IMG], so I was a bit worried. Does the inside tag look the same? Didn't you get those for $150?..??.?. Did you ever confirm whether they were Mantellassi's highest line?

4. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

No problem Renault...The soles are pretty close [​IMG] No my inside's are very different, they have the same script signature on the sole cut into the inner sole... The sole is also stamped fatte a mano or something close to that... From what I was able to gather from others yes they were the top of the line goodyear welted handmade shoes... Yup they only cost about $150.... It was an incredible shoe summer for me... Lobbs for $395 and 2 pairs of EG/RLPL's for $325 too... a pair of Fatte a Mano Harris shoes for under $200... It was nuts....

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you see stitching on the insole then they are blake-stitched. (The handmade shoes have no stitching on the insole, but they do have the characteristic dimpling around the edge typical of a shoe with a hand-sewn welt.) Still nice shoes though...

6. Renault78law

Thanks guys. So I guess, relatively speaking, these aren't the greatest value? Too bad...I was just starting to fall in love with these [​IMG]

7. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Renault78law,

Just out of curiosity, what are the lining numbers and where are they?

8. Renault78law

Rider,
    I'll check and follow up tonight.

9. Renault78law

ok, they say:
    C 054 12
    on the lining of the medial side of the ankle. the '12' is the size. helpful?

10. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Thanks, I'll try to figure out the factory that produced them.

11. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I quite like them. Who cares if they aren't a value. The question is, are they worth $360 to you? If yes, keep them. They are no doubt high quality shoes, even if they are blake stitched. Good clean design -- they'd look nice with odd pants and suits alike in my opinion, provided black is what you're going for.

For the record, I nearly bought a pair of Mantellassis myself for $180 at Zegna this weekend, but they were in brown not black. I didn't buy them because I thought the color lacked any uniqueness -- not a hint of antiquing and there was no chance I could antique them myself. And then I thought about the Grensons . . .