• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sustainable Menswear?

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Again, I spent 30 years in corporate business most of that in the most innovative industry on the planet. Word was never used.

Would you entertain the possibility that your colleagues simply didn’t use the word in your presence? You’re only 30 posts in here, but it’s already pretty clear you’re not particularly receptive to new ideas, and outright hostile to experiences beyond your own. I could understand if those you worked with chose not to bother with the hassle.

ridgerider

Reaction score
Would you entertain the possibility that your colleagues simply didn’t use the word in your presence? You’re only 30 posts in here, but it’s already pretty clear you’re not particularly receptive to new ideas, and outright hostile to experiences beyond your own. I could understand if those you worked with chose not to bother with the hassle.
When you’re working at all levels in the organization and often the same with the companies you sell too and you work for several companies solving differing operational issues that go to the heart of strategy and execution, not likely....buts it’s possible.
And now here we go with the post volume comment as if this is some exclusive cliquey club and only those with a certain volume can comment?
I’ll bow to your expertise on clothes but I’m not going to bow to misinformation about a buzzword that was not in the vernacular of the business world till about the time Obama took office and it was politically expedient and profitable to use it so you certain people would eat it up and buy the stuff from those companies espousing the new buzz word. It’s called marketing. I came from the king of all buzzwords industry where we had a new one every six months. I know the word was in the dictionary when I was in corporate and I’m sure some academics were using it but those in my industry and our clients (most of the Fortune 500) were not using it but maybe I am deaf or dumb or both ?‍♂️ Sustainability is the buzzword of this decade.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
I wonder how they feel, and how they catch the light in real life. Can’t imagine they’d be particularly pleasant to wear. That said, I don’t hate the matching face masks that go with some of them (though I’m not sure I’d want to match a mask to my tie)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's been said many times before that intelligent people are aware of the limits of their knowledge. I can't imagine thinking that I, alone, know everything that happened in business boardrooms in all industries and all sectors for the last thirty years.

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
I wonder how they feel, and how they catch the light in real life. Can’t imagine they’d be particularly pleasant to wear. That said, I don’t hate the matching face masks that go with some of them (though I’m not sure I’d want to match a mask to my tie)

I was browsing for new ties & randomly came across them, didn’t know it was a thing.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying that sustainability is the "buzzword of the decade" seems to imply that it's just a passing trend. I disagree. I think it simply speaks to the fact that consumers have become more aware of how their consumption habits affect the planet and want to be more conscientious with what they purchase. If anything, it's likely to become more important in the coming years.

"Sustainability" is undoubtedly used as a marketing tool but I don't see that as a bad thing as long as these companies are actually making their supply chains more sustainable (which, I am aware some aren't). It will surely not solve the problem, but bringing visibility to the issue is part of the battle.

ridgerider

Reaction score
It's been said many times before that intelligent people are aware of the limits of their knowledge. I can't imagine thinking that I, alone, know everything that happened in business boardrooms in all industries and all sectors for the last thirty years.

Ooh the arrogance.

Now you’re just emotional. You’re better than that.

The unfortunate thing for so many is that capitalism funds all your clothes, all your fun, all your freedom, all your education, and all your time on here. It’s an inconvenient truth.

It’s been kind of fun chaps but predictable. You’ve beaten me down which should make all of you happy.

I’m going to go watch O’Mast again so I can here from experts.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread was always weird and it has really, really jumped the shark. My two cents.
  • I have talked to many Fortune 1000 and FTSE 100 CEOs and CXOs over the years about corporate strategy both in a practitioner and consulting role. Sustainability and innovation are on their minds. The job of a CEO is to maximize capital allocation to generate the best impact, and Western consumer sentiment has clearly shifted to this regardless of industry.
  • The role of business has evolved relative to consumer expectations. The role of a business is no longer to maximize profit for stakeholders. Please note I am not taking sides and do not want this to turn into another pissing match about economic theory and how interventionist one should be.
  • GenZ has repeatedly said that they want mission-driven, meaningful work ahead of maximizing profit and income. As this generation enters the workforce in higher numbers, businesses will adapt simply because leaders are rotating out.
  • Sustainability isn't a buzzword. Yes, corporate messaging absolutely has rotated to embrace it more, but any good business reacts to the market conditions. I see the cause and effect reversed in some arguments here.

ridgerider

Reaction score
Saying that sustainability is the "buzzword of the decade" seems to imply that it's just a passing trend. I disagree. I think it simply speaks to the fact that consumers have become more aware of how their consumption habits affect the planet and want to be more conscientious with what they purchase. If anything, it's likely to become more important in the coming years.

"Sustainability" is undoubtedly used as a marketing tool but I don't see that as a bad thing as long as these companies are actually making their supply chains more sustainable (which, I am aware some aren't). It will surely not solve the problem, but bringing visibility to the issue is part of the battle.
Best post I’ve read. I don’t think it’s a passing trend either because it’s deep in some portions of consumer psyche whether it’s a real problem or perceived. The markets will shake it out one way or the other.

ridgerider

Reaction score
This thread was always weird and it has really, really jumped the shark. My two cents.
  • I have talked to many Fortune 1000 and FTSE 100 CEOs and CXOs over the years about corporate strategy both in a practitioner and consulting role. Sustainability and innovation are on their minds. The job of a CEO is to maximize capital allocation to generate the best impact, and Western consumer sentiment has clearly shifted to this regardless of industry.
  • The role of business has evolved relative to consumer expectations. The role of a business is no longer to maximize profit for stakeholders. Please note I am not taking sides and do not want this to turn into another pissing match about economic theory and how interventionist one should be.
  • GenZ has repeatedly said that they want mission-driven, meaningful work ahead of maximizing profit and income. As this generation enters the workforce in higher numbers, businesses will adapt simply because leaders are rotating out.
  • Sustainability isn't a buzzword. Yes, corporate messaging absolutely has rotated to embrace it more, but any good business reacts to the market conditions. I see the cause and effect reversed in some arguments here.
Good summary. I’m nearly certain all CEO’s are currently talking about or giving lip service to it, because the buzz, whether real or imagined is unavoidable. I appreciate the rational summary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics