• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sustainable Menswear?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh for Gods sake! ******* sustainable?

Cotton is a crop. Sustainable.
Wool/cashmere? Sustainable.
Leather? From cows. Sustainable and given the recent fetish regarding cow farts and global warming, I’d say buy more leather.
Silk? Pretty sustainable last I checked.

I’d argue 90% of clothing is made up of these such things.

What’s not sustainable, the labor used in sweat shops and Chinese concentration and prison camps to produce this stuff.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Leather? From cows. Sustainable and given the recent fetish regarding cow farts and global warming, I’d say buy more leather.

Are you aware of the environmental impacts of over-farming? Mongolia has gone through a desertification process because of the overfarming of cashmere. Can go on for each of the crops and materials you listed.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How exactly does cashmere turn grasslands into desert?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How exactly does cashmere turn grasslands into desert?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Only after you edited it. Be quicker next time.

I think maybe you've had too much to drink or something.

Anyway, I think that's it from me for a while.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I could not disagree more with this phrasing. Pedantic, perhaps, but it should read "don't buy something just because it's on sale."

If you are planning on buying a new sofa from Blu Dot and you know that Blu Dot marks down its entire collection by 20% for the month of October — its only sale of the year — why the heck would you buy your sofa in September if you could wait?

Right, but psychologically people often have troubles differentiating between the two. I think people often trick themselves into thinking that they would buy something on sale even when that is not the case.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score

What’s not sustainable, the labor used in sweat shops and Chinese concentration and prison camps to produce this stuff.

Um...the fact that something is a crop doesn't mean that it is sustainable.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is quite weird to hear companies that talk about sustainability and simultaneously make all their clothes in China.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
It is quite weird to hear companies that talk about sustainability and simultaneously make all their clothes in China.

That's often a separate moral issue, and one that isn't as straightforward as it seems.

Quite sober. I quoted full your post....

Why does this matter? Regardless of what he wrote in his original post, you both agree on this. Furthermore, Derek has written on this before. It is not as if you made an original point and he stole it from you. This all seems very petty to me.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's often a separate moral issue, and one that isn't as straightforward as it seems.

I agree, and I also agree with the rest of your previous post. A lot of what's sustainable comes down to the choices we make for purchases: buying better quality, not spending frivolously, etc.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fascinating stuff. Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads