• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugh, like the next few days here in New York. Almost 100 degrees and insane humidity.

Ugh is an understatement. Is there anywhere on earth that is less happy than NYC when it's hot and steamy? Everyone gets so testy - understanbly so - but no fun.

We reached 113F here last week (and it will probably go higher) but thank God we don't have such levels of humidity. I've been to Miami in the summer though and I can't even imagine wearing a jacket there...

It was 112 when I was last in Delhi - but very dry and windy. That helped some. But no jackets were to be seen on anyone but us westerners.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I live in Atlanta. Everyone wants to be flashy despite the riduculous heat and humidity.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ugh is an understatement. Is there anywhere on earth that is less happy than NYC when it's hot and steamy? Everyone gets so testy - understanbly so - but no fun.
It was 112 when I was last in Delhi - but very dry and windy. That helped some. But no jackets were to be seen on anyone but us westerners.

Delhi was the most ridiculous hot/humid combo I've ever experienced. And I live in DC. It was right before monsoon season I think, was probably 115-120 with ridiculous humidity. I was wearing glasses then, which would immediately fog up when I went outside.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, it doesn't help that the buildings radiate heat and all of the blacktop and people on top of one another. It is just like a huge sauna. If it is 95 outside, on a city street it is probably 120.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sounds like a regular day in hong kong
ffffuuuu.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugh, like the next few days here in New York. Almost 100 degrees and insane humidity.

This will test your worth and your purity of heart. Reveal not your suspenders during this time of tribulation, and a Jedi you will be.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have done it before, and I will do it again. Complaining the whole way.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being British, I have just chuckled quietly to myself reading this thread... cheap laughs, I know.

Seriously though, braces were originally designed to be worn under a waistcoat, so you would never see them. Didn't stop the Victorians from having very fancy ones (for their own satisfaction). It wasn't until the post-WW1 period that braces were more visible as waistcoats became less popular. These days so few people wear them that it's hard to say that there are hard and fast rules. Personally, I don't wear them to be visible, but I won't worry if I am wearing a pair of trousers with braces and no waistcoat and have to take my jacket off. I would just go with good quality and avoid wearing any kind of novelty braces.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were you eating cucumber sandwiches and drinking Earl Grey while reading this thread?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would want to wear suspenders in weather that is too hot to wear a jacket. If it is that hot, then the best solution would be a tailored shirt with an open collar and a straight hem that you wear untucked with your trousers, such as a guayaberas, safari jacket, or bowling shirt. The polo shirt can also be in this category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads