• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if it's actually too hot to wear a jacket I don't see the point either, unless you actually have to wear a jacket (work dress code, church wedding, or whatever).

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would expect those dress codes to be sensible as well. The guayaberas, aloha shirt, etc. should make an adequate substitute for jacket and tie in extremely hot weather, so long as they are well tailored and carried off well.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guayaberas are in fact formal dress in Cuba and other countries... I like them a lot, I need to get some in my current size.

Back to the topic, some people have to wear a suit at my workplace, some of them wear suspenders, and they walk around the building without their jackets. No one seems to care, and while that doesn't make it "correct", it doesn't look like it's a scandal nowadays...

john parker

Reaction score
My own personal opinion is that braces are worn in lieu of a belt, irrespective of jackets and suits. I do agree that tradition holds that braces are not to be seen (like underwear), but I wear them to hold up my trousers and jeans even without a jacket. I am looking at a practical way to not strangle my waist trying to keep the jeans from sliding down my nonexistent butt. Braces work well, and I am sufficiently old that no one comments out of respect.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, for those under the age of 70 and not into hipster culture, braces should not be worn without a jacket and tie, though it is acceptable to remove the latter even if wearing the former (as long as jacket removal would be otherwise appropriate). Somehow I think wearing them tieless looks odd, but that's just me. As an aside, this is why I like suits with side tabs; they can be worn with braces when wearing a tie or sans braces when not.

Theoretically, I don't believe that a suit is required, but from a practical standpoint, I don't think many folks have brace-appropriate trousers (no loops) that aren't part of a suit, so I can't see it being done often.

As to brace/tie matching (since we all know that at some point they'll likely be seen), I would avoid needless clashing or exact matching (except with solid colors). It's obvious why clashing is undesirable but I also think too close a match makes it look like you bought them as a set (see Bill Lumburgh in "Office Space").

Reaction score
In my opinion, for those under the age of 70 and not into hipster culture, braces should not be worn without a jacket and tie, though it is acceptable to remove the latter even if wearing the former (as long as jacket removal would be otherwise appropriate). Somehow I think wearing them tieless looks odd, but that's just me. As an aside, this is why I like suits with side tabs; they can be worn with braces when wearing a tie or sans braces when not.
Theoretically, I don't believe that a suit is required, but from a practical standpoint, I don't think many folks have brace-appropriate trousers (no loops) that aren't part of a suit, so I can't see it being done often.
As to brace/tie matching (since we all know that at some point they'll likely be seen), I would avoid needless clashing or exact matching (except with solid colors). It's obvious why clashing is undesirable but I also think too close a match makes it look like you bought them as a set (see Bill Lumburgh in "Office Space").

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two questions for those of you who feel that suspenders, like underwear, should not be seen: Do you feel the same way about belts? If not, why not?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have two questions for those of you who feel that suspenders, like underwear, should not be seen: Do you feel the same way about belts? If not, why not?

I do feel the same way about belts. I feel this way because I don't think belts should ever be used. I never wear one, all my pants are made with suspender buttons, if I want I can just go suspenderless.

Reaction score
belts should never be used? why do you think that? Is it because you never wear them or something else?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wear suspenders, or I don't wear suspenders. Pants shouldnt have belt loops.

Reaction score
I feel like belts are very useful for style purposes. Should pants have belt loops or not? I cannot answer that but I do not think there is anything wrong with belt loops or wearing a belt.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do feel the same way about belts. I feel this way because I don't think belts should ever be used. I never wear one, all my pants are made with suspender buttons, if I want I can just go suspenderless.

Now that I won't be buying RTW dress trousers anymore I feel the same way. Side adjusters (if at all), brace buttons and no loops for me.

Calder

Reaction score
Personally, and especially with grey/light trousers, I feel that lack of a belt makes them look incomplete.

But then, I'm not wearing the belt to keep my trousers up - I'm wearing it as a visual accessory.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like belts for business casual or casual. I usually wear braces when wearing a suit. They're much more comfortable then a belt.

nessa922

Reaction score
Hello, gents!

Was browsing the internet about suit braces, and I couldn't help but peruse this thread.
So, my apologies if I'm bumping a thread that is done and dusted, but the majority of
opinions here have piqued my interest.

I find it interesting that most feel that suit braces aren't to be seen, except maybe if
accidental. Personally, I'd love to catch a man in well-tailored suit, without his blazer
and his braces displayed.

He'd be in danger, actually. ;)

What I do not like, are braces that clip on. Yuch!

May I ask (again?) what is it about braces that should make the wearer conceal them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads