• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When I was in high school I worked at a garden center. My boss looked like Dr. Robotnik. Basically an egg with legs. He worse suspenders with jeans daily, still does I believe. Sometimes it is the only thing that will hold up your drawers. This man pictured above has no excuses.

In this case, there's another option which is to eschew jeans entirely. But I get your point.

Calder

Reaction score
While I agree with your comment that the jacket is not to be removed and the suspenders not seen, it is fairly commonplace to remove jackets upon entering the office. I will put mine back on for client meetings or to go outside of my building, but do walk around the office without a jacket while wearing suspenders.
Perfect opportunity to wear a three piece, TBH

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since nobody should ever see them besides you it doesn't really matter what they look like.

Not to start a shitstorm, but I think this rule no longer applies to most of us. I'm sure that in some business environments and/or high social classes this is still the norm, but I think that most men these days -- even stylish ones -- remove their jackets occasionally, and without scandal, in public. It's going depend largely on the circumstance.

Just get charcoal, or mid grey ones so they go with everything.

+1 Navy and Burgundy are also excellent choices. I have suspenders in many colors, but the ones in Navy get far more use than any of the others, with the Burgundy running in second place.

Reaction score
I actually like the idea of no one seeing your suspenders except for myself or if they are seen its not done on purpose. A simple arm swing or turn may expose them.
The entire "flashy in public" look or the "showoff every aspect of my outfit" look is not for me. Its a little immature too in my opinion.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to start a shitstorm, but I think this rule no longer applies to most of us. I'm sure that in some business environments and/or high social classes this is still the norm, but I think that most men these days -- even stylish ones -- remove their jackets occasionally, and without scandal, in public. It's going depend largely on the circumstance.

+1. Even though I'm not a fan of wearing braces without a jacket, no one would say anything if I did. Of course, you shouldn't head for work with a shirt, slacks, tie and braces with no jacket, but at most places there should be no problem if you have to remove your jacket and your suspenders can be seen for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Quote:
I can agree with taking off your jacket while at your desk at work or maybe somewhere sitting where you just may get hot. I do see how it can largely depend on the circumstance though. I like the hidden suspenders concept though.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The entire "flashy in public" look or the "showoff every aspect of my outfit" look is not for me. Its a little immature too in my opinion.

I have no idea what you mean.

mork.jpg

you shouldn't head for work with a shirt, slacks, tie and braces with no jacket, but at most places there should be no problem if you have to remove your jacket and your suspenders can be seen for a while.

Agreed. For some reason, I feel naked going to work without a jacket, but I have no qualms about removing it once I arrive. Go figure.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
I would never endorse it without a coat/waistcoat covering it.
Only the sight of sock suspenders can be a bigger downer than a flash of a suspender, nowadays at least.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many young people will actually refuse to wear suspenders because they think they'd look like this:

But this young fellow wearing suspenders doesn't look like that at all:

Now, I wouldn't walk like that out in the street, or if I was at the church on a wedding, but I see no problem in doing it while I am at work (it's very hot in there). Do I have to say no to the extreme comfort it is to wear a pair of braces, just because I am going to take my jacket off at the office? I don't think so...

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I kind of think the young and thin man wearing them looks more like a flashy, pompous douchebag than the former, tbh.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah probably, and he should put his jacket on, but my point is that he looks young anyways. Many young people, at least around here, refuse to wear braces because they believe they will look like an old man, not a pompous douchebag.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I live in a hot/steamy climate I personally can excuse a man appearing on the street with his jacket in hand. As long as he puts it back on when entering the wonderful world of modern air conditioning.

I know it isn't proper. But when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity I'm willing to give a little on propriety. Especially during the business day.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ugh, like the next few days here in New York. Almost 100 degrees and insane humidity.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We reached 113F here last week (and it will probably go higher) but thank God we don't have such levels of humidity. I've been to Miami in the summer though and I can't even imagine wearing a jacket there...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads