Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suspenders?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bsmith, Sep 9, 2002.

1. bsmith

bsmith Member

I was recently looking through my closet of shirts and ties and was wondering what could bring more spunk to them. I was thinking of suspenders just for that different look. I am in sales and not required to wear a jacket, only a tie. Because it is retail sales, I was wanting a way to bring fun into such a dull atmosphere.

What colors do I coordinate with? Bold colors from the tie, or subtle colors? Or am I just going to make myself look like an idiot?

2. Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest Active Member

Idiot is the answer to your question without any doubts =)

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

As a buyer (of media, professionally, and retail I suppose), I appreciate my sales reps dressing professionally.

While I like the look of wearing a jacket without a tie, I cannot support wearing a tie without a jacket. It looks as if you had been wearing a jacket, and simply took it off (which a gentleman never does, in my opinion). Instead of braces - which bring to mind Amish farmers and/or Gordon Gekko - why not wear sport coats? I submit that this could bring the fun into the workplace that you desire. I also submit that an engaging personality can inject fun into dull situations like no clothes ever could.

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I simply still don't see why braces get the bad rap in the states that they do. They've always been a staple of english sartorial tradition. They are much more practical, stylish and effective than belts.

....that being said, I don't wear them because of the "amish farmer/GG" stigma.

5. bsmith

bsmith Member

Thanks for the replies. Now I worry about it. Basically it is a store in a Mall-like environment. In some mall stores you see sales people in ties, no jacket. Personally, I would rather just see Dockers and a polo shirt, but it's not my choice. But thanks again to all whole replied.. [​IMG]