1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

suspenders with a tux?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marg, Mar 24, 2011.

1. marg

marg Senior member

I will upload a pic or two this weekend. I couldn't get great pics together, but they will give you a good idea about fit. i definitely looked better than most. it wasn't hard considering almost everyone was either in a rental or an old tux that no longer fit. i think i obsessed way too much about everything, though.

2. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Suspenders are great. Leave a little looseness on your belt line and your shirt stays beautifully flat.

3. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

I prefer braces myself but suspenders are customary to be worn unless the pants have side tabs for adjusting and absolutley no belts. any decent tux will not have belt loops anyways.

4. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

5. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Active Member

I just inherited my father's vintage tuxedo - it's gorgeous. The suspender buttons are on the outside, which I find a bit curious. Was that common in the 1960s?

6. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

Yes. You would have been assumed to be wearing a vest. With a tuxedo you shouldn't be taking your jacket off, so it's not a big deal.

7. Katzenjammer

Oh yes, of course. Was just wondering if it was an unusual set up - most tuxedos I've seen/worn had them on the inside.

8. Katzenjammer

By the way, anyone know the deal is with "braided ends" on braces - versus leather? More comfortable? More elegant? It's hard to believe their as durable?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. gotitwenineed

gotitwenineed Well-Known Member

Agreed!

10. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

No cummerbund or vest?
    Go to double breasted tux.

P.S.
    I think that this modern hate for cummerbunds is because this garnment today is cut ugly.
    A good cummerbund should be cut to be invisible whit the coat buttoned (same for the vest,obviously).
    The pleats of cummerbund should be upwards (so you could put a buisness cards or tickets inside).
    Some cummerbunds have inside on the front one or two burnished snap fastner for anchor the garnment to the trousers.

11. Katzenjammer

Where do I find a vest that is invisible with the tuxedo buttoned? I'd be looking for a u-shape vest right?

12. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

Yes,the right vest for a tuxedo is a "U" shape vest.
    Brooks Brothers make a decent vest.

[​IMG]

13. carpu65

carpu65 Senior member

[​IMG]

Wrong (and horrible) !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Correct.

14. Katzenjammer

DELETED BY AUTHOR - STARTED MY OWN THREAD, WHICH IS WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014