1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suspenders Thick or Thin?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chdblanton, Jul 18, 2013.

1. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

Hey guys,

I have been a long time reader and recently joined the forum. I recently graduated from law school and currently studying for the Bar exam and trying to get my wardrobe right before so I at least look like I know what I'm doing in the courtroom.

I have a brilliant supply of shoes, shirts, ties, and cufflinks, but I don't own a single pair of suspenders. For courtroom appearances, I believe I want to go with basic brown and/or black leather ones. However, my problem is that I can't find any recommendations on whether I should go for thicker 2.5-3cm suspenders or thinner 1.5cm suspenders.

So my question is, for an attorney or business professional look, should I go with thick or thin suspenders, and am I wrong about sticking with black and/or brown leather.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Thurstons - which will be wider.

Do you have trousers cut for braces? You do not mention even having suits! Those colours of leather are OK - they should not be seen anyway.

3. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

Yes I do have trousers cut for braces. I have roughly 35-40 suits that fit very good, another 10 that are tailored to perfection, and another 10 that need some substantial tailoring. I believe 8 of my entire inventory are cut for braces, maybe a couple more.

4. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

5. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

Assume that is a vote for thicker. From the research I did, the thin suspenders are more for club attire, hipster, or anything else not professional.

6. SharplyTailored

SharplyTailored Senior member

Here in the UK, very narrow braces are a must-have fashion accessory for all self-respecting skinheads. Like this gentleman:
    [​IMG]
    For a lawyer, standard-width ones would be more professional.

7. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

Agreed, that's not exactly the look I was going for, but perfect advice. Thanks.

8. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

Yes, thicker braces (suspenders are the clip on type you don't want, braces are the button type you have). The tie in the pic seems a bit long for you.

9. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

I buy the narrow braces from Drake's or Albert Thurston. I prefer the narrow braces because I prefer braided ends to leather ends.

10. Punjabjat

Punjabjat Well-Known Member

Wider...thin ones don't seem right for the court room

11. Cuttingboard

I can't believe you take your jacket off!! :facepalm: :)

12. Cuttingboard

13. Cuttingboard

14. Cuttingboard

15. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

I would not likely remove my jacket inside the courtroom. However, upon returning to the office, I doubt I will switch into a belt, hence, in the original post I stated courtroom/ business professional.

16. Luvwine

Luvwine Well-Known Member

Yes, the braces will occasionally be seen. I am a trial lawyer and wear wider braces for what it is worth. Most lawyers wear belts, but I get some positive comments about braces that make me think there are no negatives to wearing them. The only downside to mixing braces and belts is the change in riise of the trousers that affects the preferred length of one's ties, but this is a minor issue.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  17. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

FYI, that is not a picture of me, I'd never commit such a sin as having too long a tie.

18. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Wider braces are best.

19. chdblanton

chdblanton Member

Based on what appears to be a consensus that wider is better for a more professional/ legal look, does anyone have a thought on exactly what constitutes wide. After doing some research i settled on a couple pairs that are 2.5cm .

20. Cuttingboard

According to Drake's, classic width is 4cm and the narrow is 2.25cm.