• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders or belt

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the suits which are equipped with buttons, I wear the braces (in fact the one RLPL suit doesn't have belt loops). Otherwise I use a belt.

koji

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think braces are more elegant than a belt, though I personally feel I am too young to go with them. Thus, I wear a belt. Oh, and we're talking about suits here, right? Sans suit, braces look awkward.

One caveat, though -- when your jacket is on but unbuttoned, an observer can't really tell you are wearing braces, yet you obviously don't have a belt buckle. Something bugs me about that.

Duveen

Reaction score
Johnny,

That's why some trousers cover the main button (I am wearing a pair of Sulka trousers that do this today).

What throws the look off for me is the visible button without a cover. With a smooth front that is all cotton or wool, a pair of trousers without belt loops looks just fine. It is when you have belt loops, a visible button and no belt that things - rightly - look a bit funny.

masterfred

Reaction score
With suits and more "casual" (i.e., sports jackets and unmatched trousers), I wear braces exclusively. Even when I wear jeans or truly casual pants, I never wear belts of any sort, as I very much dislike them. My dressy trousers either a. are made to be worn only with braces (an extension waistband and no loops), or b. if the suit trousers come equipped with belt loops, I have the tailor remove them during alterations. If one is wearing a contemporary slim suit with below-the-hips, flat-front trousers (such as I imagine LA Guy wears, at least on occasion), braces don't really make sense.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like wearing belts, because I feel braces are for people older than I am. That's just the vibe I get from them. I know that several stylish people even on this board use them, but I won't. Instead, I'll opt for those cool adjustable side-tabs on my trousers for that perfect waist-hugging fit.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can't imagine jeans with braces. except i think i saw them on hee-haw once... Alias - do you buy trousers with those adjustable tabs already on, or do you have them added? what brand trousers have them? they would be most useful for someone like me who tends to have a large lunch...
mad.gif
/andrew

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alias - do you buy trousers with those adjustable tabs already on, or do you have them added? what brand trousers have them? they would be most useful for someone like me who tends to have a large lunch... Â
mad.gif
I dunno about adding them on, but I get all my trousers made, so I can ask for details such as side tabs and whatnot. If it is indeed possible to have them added, however, I have several immediate candidates in my closet for side-tabbery.

Classic

Reaction score
I go through "phases", and so there are times when I wear braces. However, overall I prefer a belt. I find that belts are less of a hassle then braces.

Classic

dorian

Reaction score
You know, I wish that I could vote again, because the last category deserves a vote just for creativity of description.

I am, however, strictly a belt person, as I find the stereotypcial Wall Streeter and City Boy look of braces somewhat off-putting. If I did not live in New York and London, I think I would be more receptive to braces, actually. To each his own, though.

slave2fashion

Reaction score
I agree with previous messages that suspenders convey a stuffy image. If my girlfriend ever caught me in suspenders, she would never let me hear the end of it. I wear a beautiful alligator belt that has a rich, yet subtle, look.

MarcGrayson39

Reaction score
I am a big fan of braces, especially Thurston braces. Trousers hang perfectly with braces but you need to have the trousers designed to accommodate the braces to work best.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
BTW, Slave2Fashion and MarcGrayson39 are the same person- MPD...

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with previous messages that suspenders convey a stuffy image.  If my girlfriend ever caught me in suspenders, she would never let me hear the end of it.  I wear a beautiful alligator belt that has a rich, yet subtle, look.
Has she the monopole of good taste?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads