• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders or belt

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Braces are very classic, Â not out of fashion and "ok" for business Visit the same business irea. Who is wearing a 7 fold ties? A true bespoke suit? A sea island shirts ? No more people than these wearing braces. Does it mean all theses thing are out of fashion?
Yes, maybe things are different where you live, but where I live people do not wear braces. Ties aren't out of fashion, 7-fold or not. Suits aren't out of fashion, bespoke or not. Shirts aren't out of fashion, sea island or not. See where I'm getting at? Your comparison is false.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Braces aren't as prevalent as they were, say, 5 years ago, or during the 80s. I have at least 30 pairs, love to wear them, and haven't worn any of mine in over a year.

But I hear they're coming back...

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I hear they're coming back...
That would be cool if they did. I love how trousers drape when held up by braces.

kidkim2

Reaction score
May I ask my dumb question for the day?  How does the observer know whether or not one is wearing braces?

kidkim2

Reaction score
Since the jacket remains buttoned (I assume.), no one can tell whether the trousers are held up by a belt, braces, or a length of clothesline.  (When seated at table, the napkin provides ample concealment.)  

What am I missing?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I prefer to wear my jacket open - especially if I am engaging in moderately strenuous activity - weddings, funerals, "functions" (god I hate that word) and other such events often require organizers and their friends and family to get their hands a little dirty. Short of taking off the jacket and rolling up my sleeves, which I've also done on occasion - when audio systems (including support frames) need to be set up, pianos moved, etc..., there are many instances in which a single-breasted jacket might be unbuttoned. When you are wearing your tie loose or going without altogether, for informal events, I prefer my jacket open, period. I don't know, I enjoy suit wearing occasions a *lot* more when I am required to do a little more than just show up.

kidkim2

Reaction score
LAGuy--

That'll tell youi how much I know. You didn't strike me as an open-jacket sort of guy. . . .

Mike

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LAGuy--

That'll tell youi how much I know. You didn't strike me as an open-jacket sort of guy. . . .

Mike

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of this. I'll take it as a compliment - I am a roll up the sleeves and get down to work kind of guy rather than a show up and eat kind of guy. Works up the appetite, if nothing else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads