suspenders or belt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Jul 26, 2006.

1. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Which do you usually wear? I haven't worn suspenders in years, but am thinking about getting a couple of pairs to wear again? Thoughts?

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm wearing suspenders more and more. I find they're more comfortable than a belt when wearing a suit, improve the drape of the paints (because the waistband isn't cinched) and keep one's pants where one wants them more reliably than a belt. I now regularly ask for buttons to be added to suits that don't come with them.

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

I'd really like to try braces, but loathe the idea of commissioning a pair of pants for this sole purpose. You add buttons to your pants? Does that mean you wear braces with pants that have beltloops? Seems inappropriate.

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Suspenders with suits, belts with odd trousers.

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I've started liking adjustable side tabs on my suit trousers. Otherwise, I use belts. Very few RTW trousers are made for use with braces nowadays, I think.

6. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'd really like to try braces, but loathe the idea of commissioning a pair of pants for this sole purpose. You add buttons to your pants? Does that mean you wear braces with pants that have beltloops? Seems inappropriate.

It's not ideal, but yes. Even the suit pants I've got that came with suspender buttons also came with belt loops. We live in fallen times, my friend. And I can't go around having bespoke pants made just to avoid having belt loops on my suit trousers.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Some people seem to have an almost violent reaction to belts, which I have always thought unfounded.

A well-coordinated belt is very stylish. Besides, if you are not wearing a suit/sports jacket braces look like a truck stop attendant with the requisite trucker hat.

8. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Suspenders with suits, belts with odd trousers.
    Agreed

9. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Do an experiment. Try a pair of pants to your tailor and have them convert them with buttons for braces. Wear them a few time and see how they do for you.

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

Which do you usually wear? I haven't worn suspenders in years, but am thinking about getting a couple of pairs to wear again? Thoughts?

Matter of choice but suspenders can look very odd if you work in a building where you are liable to remove your jacket. they really are more associated with the past when this was more the exception.

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Matter of choice but suspenders can look very odd if you work in a building where you are liable to remove your jacket. they really are more associated with the past when this was more the exception.

Some take the view that braces are basically the same as underwear--something that should not be shown in public. Personally, I like to be able to show off a nice pair of suspenders after having settled down at my desk. Very few people in my office wear them, but that's part of the charm of the exercise.

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some take the view that braces are basically the same as underwear--something that should not be shown in public. Personally, I like to be able to show off a nice pair of suspenders after having settled down at my desk. Very few people in my office wear them, but that's part of the charm of the exercise.

Agreed! I'm the only one kn my office who wears them. Today I'm sporting a pair of Albert Thurston baratheas in amethyst.

13. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Do you guys think braces with clips are tacky as opposed to the button kind?

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Do you guys think braces with clips are tacky as opposed to the button kind?

Yes! Braces with clips are for farmer!

It's easy enough to have buttons sewn into your pants.

Although I know one former Fortune 100 CEO who wears them around. OTOH, he's retired and immensely rich and has nothing to lose.

15. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I have three DB suits, and I am planning to remove the belt loops and put buttons on the trousers of one of them to experiment... because I feel is inapporpiate to wear the DB jacket openned and then it should be better to wear the braces on them.

by the way the only trousers with pleats that I have are those... al the SB suits have no pleats in the trousers...