1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suspender/braces

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by barbatruk, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Forgive my ignorance, but I remember hearing that a really well-fittin suit should work fine without braces OR a belt? Maybe I'm just crazy.
    I also love Henry Fonda's quote from Once Upon A Time in the West:
    How can I trust a man with a belt AND braces - he doesn't even trust his own pants!

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Certainly trousers can be cut to sit correctly if one's size never fluctuates, and it is done well. The first condition is nearly impossible. Also, proper brace-taking trousers are cut a little larger in the waist and would not stay up alone. This is not an example of ill fit.

3. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I don't really use them, but I may if I get some higher rise pants in my next suit.

4. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

About twice a week. Much more comfy (and perhaps stylish) than a belt.

Also, in a rare disagreement with Manton, I find that braces are actually cooler than belts in the summer. I suppose the lack of cinching around the waist allows hot air to escape from the top of the trousers, allowing cool air to enter from the bottom. I find added heat from two 1.5" straps to be negligible.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find that braces are actually cooler than belts in the summer. I suppose the lack of cinching around the waist allows hot air to escape from the top of the trousers,
    What's goin' on down there?

--sleepless RJ

6. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

WIth all suits but linen. Purple, red, and green generally - on occasion, white or black. Solid Thurstons.

Why not with linen suits? Is this just personal preference or would it be considered one of the rules?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Why not with linen suits? Is this just personal preference or would it be considered one of the rules?

Lower rise; they wouldn't work well.