• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surrounded by idiots - Help!!

AncientSoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
I will pay my own way and stand in for him. Please have my suit waiting for me when I arrive. PM for measurements!

I was going to make the same generous offer but you beat me to it.

OP, a solid wool suit will not wrinkle badly. If wrinkles are that much of a problem then may I suggest a 70/30 or 80/20 wool/mohair blend?

Put your foot down firmly. I don't have any experience with marriages but I have a suspicion that the bride will be watching you very closely while you make this all important decision. If you give in, you may have to give in a lot throughout your marriage.
devil.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guy is being a total doucher. remind its your wedding, and he is being honored with the position of groomsman. the fact he is getting a free suit at all is more than generous. if he he doesnt want it all he has to do is wear it for one day and then give it back, or donate it or sell it on B&S. as a friend its the least, and i mean least he can do for you on your wedding day.

Kurt N

Reaction score
Just for the sake of variety, let me say two things on the groomsman's side:

(1) I believe people have been getting away from having all groomsmen match perfectly, and that's one trend that's not so bad. To the extent that the conflict is driven by a requirement for perfect matchy-matchy, this was an argument that didn't need to happen.

(2) The groomsman may (I am only speculating) not have deep pockets, so he sees this as his one chance to get a custom-tailored suit he's going to use a lot. In his mind he'll get better use out of the suit if it's a wool/poly. If this is his thinking, it's at least understandable.

But I agree it's low-class for a groomsman getting a free suit to insist on his own preferences. The guy's being a jerk. And I agree he's nuts to want wool/poly.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give that mate the back of your hand and suggest he stop adding to what is already a stressful enough event in your life. On the bright side of it, there could be some money in the name 'aspirant and the 3 shiny groomsmen'; perhaps a name for a band or possibly a childrens novel.

divitius

Reaction score
Tell him if he doesn't straighten up you'll have them all wear morning coats and top hats!
devil.gif

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VelvetGreen
This guy sounds like a tit. Lie to him. Tell him you spent a long time with your tailor finding a matching cloth with a bit of polyester. Emphasise how much hard work this was. How many hours you spent leafing through swatch catalogues to get just the right look. And how, finally, you managed to do it. Get the other groomsmen in on it, if you need to. When the suit starts to crease, tell him he's clearly completely ******* inexperienced with suits (which is obviously true) and that he has to learn to look after it properly, like a big man. This isn't just any old blend (remember how much work it was?). Lastly, it's your wedding. If he doesn't like it, find another groomsman.
+1 Why are you being held hostage by this village idiot? Crap, he's getting a decent suit made for him, find a new groomsman. There's a reason why if I ever get married I'm not going through this BS, it will be a miniscule ceremony.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do they all have to match? Just tell them all to wear suits of similar colour.

aspirant

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys =D

Can't ditch him b/c he's a very good mate.

The current Miss is buying dresses for all her bridesmaid so I don't want to look like a cheapass.

It would be nice to be able use these suit at the next guy's wedding in 5-6 years. Tradition sounds good. Would the suits be able to last that long if it had a maximum of 20% polyester?

We're blowing 60k AUD (more than USD hehehe...) on the damn wedding already so it might as well be good.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let it be. He is your good mate anyway.

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aspirant
Thanks for the replies guys =D

Can't ditch him b/c he's a very good mate.

The current Miss is buying dresses for all her bridesmaid so I don't want to look like a cheapass.

It would be nice to be able use these suit at the next guy's wedding in 5-6 years. Tradition sounds good. Would the suits be able to last that long if it had a maximum of 20% polyester?

We're blowing 60k AUD (more than USD hehehe...) on the damn wedding already so it might as well be good.

Why are you asking for advice if you are going to ignore it?

viator

Reaction score
Have the guy's measurements taken. Then order his suit in the fabric you want.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the tradition angle is a great argument for why you shouldn't do it in a poly blend. Plus the "I'm paying for the whole thing, and it would really mean a lot to me if you weren't a tosser" argument. As a last resort, if he insists on a blend, I'm sure there are other blends which might suffice - wool/cashmere, wool/silk, etc...

satorstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
Have the guy's measurements taken. Then order his suit in the fabric you want.

My thoughts exactly. Then take the tag out, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads