• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surrealism

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Who else likes surrealist art? I don't want to make a lengthy post but while doing a search on Hans Bellmer, I came across a couple of other interesting things:

II-A-1.jpg

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/dr...a_gallery.html

toddlerpedes-jonbeinart.jpg

http://www.toddlerpedes.com/

I'll post more later when I get a chance.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the pic on the lower left is one of the creepiest things i've ever seen.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I like some surrealist art, mainly Picasso. I also think Dali is interesting. After taking my two art courses (1800-1900, then 1900-present), I was continually more impressed with every generation of art than the last, all the way up until the later conceptual art period, where I decided that pop art and minimalism were the two most relavent forms of art.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on what you as an individual look for in art. i prefer art that i can relate to, and i cannot realate to anything considered surrealist.

the toddlerpede is disturbing, and would make a nice household decoration, but i see it more as a clever conceit, than as an artistic expression i can relate to on a human level. it's clever, like something one of my old roommates would have made.

Dormouse

Reaction score
I admire Jean Cocteau who was a notable surrealist and had wonderful sartorial sensibilities.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
I admire Jean Cocteau who was a notable surrealist and had wonderful sartorial sensibilities.
my favorite jean cocteau works are not surrealist; the human voice and les enfants terrribles.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can just hear that thing: "RRRR! Toddlerpede Kill!!"

I bet it could kick Chucky's ass.

I'm more of a cubism/futurism fan actually, in terms of this type of work. I like surrealism in comedy though, and to the extent that surrealism touches on zenlike abstraction of thought, I appreciate its effects.

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
my favorite jean cocteau works are not surrealist; the human voice and les enfants terrribles.

Les Enfants Terribles is quite the surreal novel. I'm partial to Orpheus myself.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I like surrealism to a point. That centa-baby is basically that point. That thing is just too weird.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Magritte, De Chirico

I also like "Story of the Eye: by George Bataille
Bellmer did some visuals based on this as well.

If we're getting into literary surrealism, then look into Anton Artaud, who was a bit of a lynchpin for Bataille's group. Actually, I like his films better than his writing or 'art.'

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I spent my entire art school career paying homage (aka ripping off) Surrealists...everyone from Magritte to Dali to Tanguy to De Chirico to Matta etc etc

To me, they represented the perfect combination of technically skilled art with tangibly visible ideas/concepts

Related, I really like the films of Luis Bunuel, in particular Exterminating Angel

that said, I'm not a huge fan of current "surrealists" (if you can call them that) that paint the sad looking little girl with huge eyes holding an evil stuffed rabbit and a kitchen knife with blood dripping from rabbit doll's eyes. Trite and unimaginative (tho they are seen as so imaginative by so many *ugh*)

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lest we forget the master:
DALI1.jpg
Dali's over-exposed, over-faked, and over-imitated, but still...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads