1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Surrealism

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by j, Jan 1, 2007.

1. j

j Well-Known Member

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

the pic on the lower left is one of the creepiest things i've ever seen.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

I like some surrealist art, mainly Picasso. I also think Dali is interesting. After taking my two art courses (1800-1900, then 1900-present), I was continually more impressed with every generation of art than the last, all the way up until the later conceptual art period, where I decided that pop art and minimalism were the two most relavent forms of art.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

it depends on what you as an individual look for in art. i prefer art that i can relate to, and i cannot realate to anything considered surrealist.

the toddlerpede is disturbing, and would make a nice household decoration, but i see it more as a clever conceit, than as an artistic expression i can relate to on a human level. it's clever, like something one of my old roommates would have made.

5. Dormouse

Dormouse Well-Known Member

I admire Jean Cocteau who was a notable surrealist and had wonderful sartorial sensibilities.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

I admire Jean Cocteau who was a notable surrealist and had wonderful sartorial sensibilities.
    my favorite jean cocteau works are not surrealist; the human voice and les enfants terrribles.

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Magritte, De Chirico

I also like "Story of the Eye: by George Bataille
    Bellmer did some visuals based on this as well.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

I can just hear that thing: "RRRR! Toddlerpede Kill!!"

I bet it could kick Chucky's ass.

I'm more of a cubism/futurism fan actually, in terms of this type of work. I like surrealism in comedy though, and to the extent that surrealism touches on zenlike abstraction of thought, I appreciate its effects.

9. Dormouse

Dormouse Well-Known Member

my favorite jean cocteau works are not surrealist; the human voice and les enfants terrribles.

Les Enfants Terribles is quite the surreal novel. I'm partial to Orpheus myself.

10. Violinist

Violinist Well-Known Member

11. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Well-Known Member

I like surrealism to a point. That centa-baby is basically that point. That thing is just too weird.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Well-Known Member

Magritte, De Chirico

I also like "Story of the Eye: by George Bataille
    Bellmer did some visuals based on this as well.

If we're getting into literary surrealism, then look into Anton Artaud, who was a bit of a lynchpin for Bataille's group. Actually, I like his films better than his writing or 'art.'

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I spent my entire art school career paying homage (aka ripping off) Surrealists...everyone from Magritte to Dali to Tanguy to De Chirico to Matta etc etc

To me, they represented the perfect combination of technically skilled art with tangibly visible ideas/concepts

Related, I really like the films of Luis Bunuel, in particular Exterminating Angel

that said, I'm not a huge fan of current "surrealists" (if you can call them that) that paint the sad looking little girl with huge eyes holding an evil stuffed rabbit and a kitchen knife with blood dripping from rabbit doll's eyes. Trite and unimaginative (tho they are seen as so imaginative by so many *ugh*)

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Lest we forget the master: [​IMG] Dali's over-exposed, over-faked, and over-imitated, but still...

15. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

LS, would that desk qualify as "ergonomic"?[​IMG]

16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

LS, would that desk qualify as "ergonomic"?[​IMG]
    I don't know, but I'm told it has a lot of built-in features, secret compartments and fun stuff. Nice original knobs, and clean drawers, too.

17. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I'm told it has a lot of built-in features, secret compartments and fun stuff. Nice original knobs, and clean drawers, too.

however, there is significant danger of carpal tunnel syndrome.