• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surprisingly Cheap but Good Brands

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. I agree on lot of things u said there .. yes they r a direct to customer brand. they are priced bellow 200 dollar. at that price range u can't really expect excellent quality...

what are ur thoughts on J.FitzPatrick shoe brand ?

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Justin as an individual has an excellent ethos - he's a proud advocate for the industry, whether his products or those of 'competitors'.

My experience with his shoes is that others might have surpassed him in quality-price ratio, but he has a number of unique designs / make-ups. That is where his value lies - in innovating, and producing something you won't see elsewhere.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Justin as an individual has an excellent ethos - he's a proud advocate for the industry, whether his products or those of 'competitors'.

My experience with his shoes is that others might have surpassed him in quality-price ratio, but he has a number of unique designs / make-ups. That is where his value lies - in innovating, and producing something you won't see elsewhere.

so in terms of quality around that price point who would you recommend ?

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. I agree on lot of things u said there .. yes they r a direct to customer brand. they are priced bellow 200 dollar. at that price range u can't really expect excellent quality...

I'm sure Thursday Boots products would be better than what most people wear -- which is usually disposable footwear with cemented construction using synthetic materials. So Thursday Boots seems like they're doing their best to provide a decent product at a price point that would be affordable to more people.

But for under $199 and still turning a profit, you need to cut costs wherever possible. I think that boils down to:
  • Time (and worker experience level) spent on construction and attention to detail
  • Materials used, mainly in terms of leather quality

I think that with shoes you get what you pay for. Personally I think the sweet spot for "good" shoes (very subjective term there!) starts at about $500 and goes up to about $800. So that would be a significant expense for many people.

Below that range and you can get shoes that are somewhat decent... but you'll need to be using cheaper labor (obviously moving manufacturing to places with lower labor costs, and possibly using less experienced/skilled workers) and lower quality leathers. I won't name the company, but as an example I tried 2 pairs of GYW shoes from a sub-$300 brand and: the left and right shoes are not quite symmetrical on one pair, the soles started to squeak while walking, the leather developed large and very visible creases, and they don't take a nice shine IMO. They're still very serviceable shoes, but definitely not among my favorites.

Beyond $800, and I think you're running into diminishing returns on your money. You'll be paying a premium for workmanship and materials that I think are real... but you'll be paying much more for smaller improvements in quality.

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my shoes as of now have been bellow the $300 mark.. couple of johnston & murphy's etc.... but now i am thinking of getting into the next segment ..
Had shortlisted it down to 3 companies:
1. Allen Edmonds
2. Crockett & Jones
3. J.FitzPatrick

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my shoes as of now have been bellow the $300 mark.. couple of johnston & murphy's etc.... but now i am thinking of getting into the next segment ..
Had shortlisted it down to 3 companies:
1. Allen Edmonds
2. Crockett & Jones
3. J.FitzPatrick

I don't mean to knock sub-$300 or sub-$200 shoes. They have their place and there are some decent shoes to be had in that range. But I do think the manufacturers need to quite aggressively shave costs wherever possible in order to meet that price point. Where they cut costs may be visible to discerning customers, or become more evident after a few wears.

From your list, I'd seriously consider Crockett & Jones if you can afford to take that step. Their construction is top notch and they use good quality leather. Very classic.

Allen Edmonds today is a shadow of what it used to be. Vintage Allen Edmond shoes were quite good, but I don't think their current shoes are worth the price.

Never looked at J. FitzPatrick.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 - C&J may be a little more expensive than the others you have listed, but the pairs I have taken a beating and still look great.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, they seem to have raised the prices the last time I checked, but for years Lands End knit ties were a great bargain. The quality was, in my opinion, on a par with Paul Stuart, Kent Wang, and several others I've tried, and possibly even made by the same Italian manufacturer (I've always suspected Nick Bronson manufactured most people's knit ties).

stylish_raven

Reaction score
personally I think these are not well cared for, despite the leather quality. On the other hand the leather looks as more typical of the belly of the animal, lower standards.

Brookston

Reaction score
Robert Barakett Pima cotton t shirts. Fantastic, and can find them NWT on eBay sometimes for $25-30. More expensive than a lot of t shirts, but they last forever, and feel fantastic.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally I think these are not well cared for, despite the leather quality. On the other hand the leather looks as more typical of the belly of the animal, lower standards.
which shoe are you referring to?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads