• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

surprised by h & m

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hasn't been **** i'd wear there in a few years but found some very interesting stuff there today. lots of black, orange and grey in techno fabrics which is pretty much the palette i live within anyway. got a few things that will go well with the orange rubber belt i just got.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As elitist as it sounds, I'm scared to end up with a wardrobe dominated by H&M and I believe that I would be too tempted. However, I do plan to go there soon and score some cheap knits so we'll see. The only experience I have with H&M was the ones in Europe so they fit well and I have had zero issues with quality.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i agree. i have 6 dior homme shirts and 6 h & m shirts.

so far, 2 dior shirts are missing buttons and one has a ripped sleeve (4 yrs old so whatever)

i have no issues with any of the years old H & M shirts. the quality thing is overblown in general.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand quality on SF overblown? No way. Though when I did make a visit to one of the smaller H&M stores I was fairly unimpressed, so I'll stop by the bigger ones and see what I like.

Jacques Cousteau

Reaction score
kunk, post a WAYWT with some H&M stuff.

Do they still have a lot of nice knit pieces, this late in the season?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jacques Cousteau
Do they still have a lot of nice knit pieces, this late in the season?

No idea but I'm not in the city now so I don't have a choice anyways. If I'm lucky, I can nab stuff that's on sale.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
As elitist as it sounds, I'm scared to end up with a wardrobe dominated by H&M and I believe that I would be too tempted. However, I do plan to go there soon and score some cheap knits so we'll see. The only experience I have with H&M was the ones in Europe so they fit well and I have had zero issues with quality.
This

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got real turned off by H & M about 3 years ago when I was really into Dior Homme. Basically H & M was ripping off everything high fashion (like the slim suspenders from Dior ss06). Anyways I haven't been following fashion that closely, but I did step into an H&M a few months ago and really liked a selection of what I saw. A lot of stuff was still junk though.

My suspicion is that they are still copying high-end stuff, it's just that I'm out of the loop so I'm oblivious to what they are copying. Nothing wrong with that.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
You can always get cheap basics or something quick if you have a sudden occasion to attend. Sometimes there is a piece or two worth getting and working into rotation.

The parka that i wore all throughout my nyc/connecticut/DC trip was from h&m and looked pretty good IMO, held up really well, and kept me nice and warm. Pics in the farinellis thread (ones where i'm walking around DC, not in the store)

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
I got real turned off by H & M about 3 years ago when I was really into Dior Homme. Basically H & M was ripping off everything high fashion (like the slim suspenders from Dior ss06). Anyways I haven't been following fashion that closely, but I did step into an H&M a few months ago and really liked a selection of what I saw. A lot of stuff was still junk though.

My suspicion is that they are still copying high-end stuff, it's just that I'm out of the loop so I'm oblivious to what they are copying. Nothing wrong with that.

It looked like a cheap B.Son last time I was there.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
they need to make $20 slim fit oxfords

the sweaters are def. a good deal. the wool trousers should be skinnier.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
HM is near my home but i never check out the place. I always envision their stuff as papery, cut bad, tawdry pieces. Am i wrong? Should i make an effort to go check out their store? Im sorry, but ive gotten so elitist in fashion taste anything less than premium cuts, decadent fabrics and anything made in other than usa,england, japan, france, or some italy... I m not interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads