• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surgeon's Cuffs - suggested tailors in Chicago Suburbs

Al H.

Reaction score
To be clear - I'm not making this post to ask whether or not I should be getting working button holes on the unfinished sleeves of my jacket. I have decided that I would like surgeon's cuffs on my jacket, but only if they can be done well. I am asking for suggestions for a tailor.

I've read through the threads recommending tailors in Chicago but making it out to the city is difficult for me for a few reasons. Can someone recommend a tailor in the west/northwest suburbs (Naperville, St. Charles, Schaumburg, and Elmhurst would define my south/west/north/east limits) that they could suggest for this type of work? I've spoken to Joe's Tailor Shop in Lombard and I did not get a good feeling from talking to the person on the other line that they would perform the level of work I'd like. From what I understand, hand-stitching working button holes should run me about $150, which sounds high but I'm not a tailor.

Thanks in advance.

scooby-doo

Reaction score
Have you asked the tailors at Nordstrom Oakbrook? They may only work on the jackets bought there though. I know they can do it as I had some done for a Canali SC I bought there.

Al H.

Reaction score
Ah, I have not but thanks for the heads up! How did the button holes turn out on yours if you don't mind my asking?

scooby-doo

Reaction score
Satisfactory I think. They have the specialty sewing machine that does it. Nothing special but not too pricey - I thought it was something like $15 per button but I cannot be certain of that.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been searching around the Fox Valley/Barrington/Schaumburg areas for general tailoring/alteration that I'm comfortable with and no luck so far. I guess I need to lurk more.

OP, not sure where you live but there's also Nordstrom in Schaumburg. I prefer a mom and pop tailor but it looks like they are a dying breed. I had a discussion with an old, snarky guy @ NRack in Schaumburg and he seems like he knows what he's talking about.

I thought that tailors @ BB outlet in Aurora outlet are knowledgeable. I'm giving myself until mid-April. If nothing by then, I may try BB outlet for trial (shortening an SC with working buttons...not sure if this a good idea/cost wise. arrgghh
plain.gif
)

Al H.

Reaction score
I'm in Bloomingdale actually, so fairly close to both Woodfield and Oakbrook. I suppose it makes sense to talk to both of the Nordstroms and see who makes me feel more comfortable about the whole process. The mom-and-pop places around me have had trouble with trouser and jeans adjustments unfortunately - I scored a pretty good deal on this suit but not good enough that I'd risk it in their hands.

Al H.

Reaction score
Yeah I turned that up last night as I was browsing some more. Not too far from the Nordstrom in Oakbrook either but if they're closed by 5, will make it tough for me. I spoke to the Men's Suits department at Nordstrom today and got quoted $14 / button, and $28 (!!!) for finishing the hem on the pants. They also did confirm that they can work on suits not purchased from their store so that's a plus. I'll hopefully have some photos when its all done.

pvrhye: thanks for the heads up as well. One day I'll be able to treat myself to some Chris Despos work, not quite there yet though.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was nice work, Scooby-doo. I wonder why no one here has used them, or at least talked about using them.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any experience with M&M, prices for shirts? Thank you all...

Al H.

Reaction score
Have dropped off the suit at the Oakbrook Nordstrom's, where the tailor told me that there was not available fabric on the sleeves to put in working button holes - bummer. While I went ahead and requested non-functional buttons to simply finish up the sleeves, I left wondering why BB would leave the sleeves un-finished if presumably some customers would choose functional button holes, only to leave an insufficient amount of fabric. Is there some other way to finish sleeves?

I also had requested the waist to be taken in a little. The tailor (in a very, very heavy Italian accent) explained to that due to the linen fabric being very un-elastic and the existence of some piping in the interior and this odd "belt" stitched into the back of the jacket, it would be very difficult to take adjust the waist. I asked him to do as much as he felt was possible without causing distortion in the lines. Was this a mistake? I suppose we'll see.

Total price for alteration (including finishing the hem on the pants) = $86.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka