Surgeon's Cuffs on Topcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by armscye, Jun 3, 2005.

1. armscye

armscye Senior member

What says the panel on surgeon's cuffs with working buttonholes on a topcoat or overcoat?

I have two new overcoats about to go off to my tailor for slimming, detailing, and button upgrading, so now would be the time to add surgeon's cuffs if I were going to do it. One is a SB navy cashmere blend with notch lapels, the other a charcoal DB somewhat in the Polo coat style. Both are full length and then some-- I ascribe to the Prince of Wales dictum that
    "a short coat is half a coat."

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Do they have vented sleeves?

If so, I stick by my principle that not adding surgeon's cuffs is simply a shortcut.

If not, I think it silly to cut apart the fabric and sleeve lining to add them.

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It is not so easy to put working sleeve buttonholes on really thick cloth. The necessary holes are too small. On covert coats or chesterfields it is much easier.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If you are a surgeon and plan to operate while wearing the coat (in a field hospital, say), then yes. Otherwise, why?

5. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

Would you believe I was right in the middle of responding to your original post when the forum went down earlier in the week?

I have one overcoat with functional buttons on the sleeves. It's a MTM thick cashmere overcoat. I didn't ask for the functional buttons; they just came that way.

I didn't think it adds anything at all, practically speaking. So I wouldn't pay extra to have them added onto my other coats.