• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surface crack in shell?

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Tricker's shell chukkas and one has a 1/2 inch crack in the surface of the leather. It's not a cosmetic concern as it's not in a place that people will readily see it, however, I'm wondering if this will be something that will worsen over time due to an underlying fault in the leather? I don't know if this is a somewhat common thing with shell. Should I do anything about it or just chalk it up to character?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like a physical crack? maybe a picture would help, i'm having a hard time visualizing it.

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
like a physical crack? maybe a picture would help, i'm having a hard time visualizing it.
Yeah, it's actually a physical crack or surface tear, it's not very deep at all. It feels like it's just the glossy upper layer of the leather and that's as deep as it goes. After examining it a little more it looks like it "split" through a scar when they pulled it forward to sew. Will this normally cause problems later on? I really don't want to return it if possible. Attachment 14778 It's not a very good pic with my crappy camera but you can see where it's at on the boot and its size. The flash makes it more visible than it really is as there is no discoloration in it. Ever seen one do that?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a few scratches but not a tear in the shell. If they are new shoes, then I'd consider returning them.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell can split when its being pulled over the last. Return 'em.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In shell cordovan you can repair those surface scratches quite easily:

Put a dollop of shoe cream (the moist stuff in glass jars) onto the fault. Take a metal teaspoon, hold by the handle, plunge your thumb into the bowl of the spoon and slide the back of the spoon in circular motions over the fault (reminds me of playing with mud as a child).

There must be a well-fitting pair of trees (or some other object) inside the shoe for that "˜rock and a hard place' feeling. You are repeating what the tannery does, create the surface of the cordovan with waxes and metal rollers under great pressure.

Do that for a few minutes, then take the cream (the lubricant) off with a tissue. I bet the fault will have gone, or at least, be much improved. Then polish.

The traditional way is using a deer bone, but I found a teaspoon works equally well and is much easier to get hold off then a dead deer.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bengal,

What are the properties of a deer bone that make it suitable for this, or is it simply tradition?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a crack between the shells, but not on them.
rimshot.gif

Nicesuit

Reaction score
Arrrrggghhh, I didn't want to send them back but that's probably the wise thing to do. They're awesome chukkas and other than the tear they are brand new. I actually paid a decent price for them so I expected a "scratch or dent" or maybe some discoloration, but an actual split in the upper was a total surprise. It's getting where it's hard to trust even the sellers with a good reputation.

Thanks for the tips Bengal but this is definitely a far cry from being a scratch, do you think it would help for an actual crack? As a last ditch question and for my own edification, do you think a cobbler could stabilize the problem to keep it from getting worse?

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shell cordovan is a very unusual leather as it is actually a membrane that is seated within the hide. The surface of the shell cordovan is artificially created. To get the surface, it needs to be compressed. That is the same thing that you re-create with the spoon. You put on pressure and the leather shifts and closes. Shell is the only leather that has these characteristics.

You can heal quite deep cuts this way. It is very similar to those self-healing cutting mats(although the shell needs a bit of help and physical manipulation):

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/S...ting_Mats.html

Originally Posted by Nicesuit
Thanks for the tips Bengal but this is definitely a far cry from being a scratch, do you think it would help for an actual crack?

It works, believe me. Don't be so defeatist, give it a try, you must have a teaspoon and some shoe cream in your house. If it does not work, return the shoes. I will heal you a cut up to half the thickness of the leather.

Originally Posted by Douglas
There is supposed to be a crack between the shells, but not on them.
rimshot.gif

There cannot be a crack between the shells, as it is only one shell, one membrane.

Originally Posted by TCN
What are the properties of a deer bone that make it suitable for this, or is it simply tradition?

I believe deer bone (which is supposed to come from the hind legs) has natural lubrication in form of oils. It also has different round curves and long straight edges. You couldn't use a teaspoon for a boot shaft.

http://horacebatten.com/products/deer_bone_for_wax_calf

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bengal, you are as always a wealth of information. Thanks!

Nicesuit

Reaction score
That, my friend, is awesome news, I will be trying the spoon trick! You sir, are my new hero. Thanks for the lesson on shell, I had no idea you could work with it like that. The fault is nowhere near half the thickness of the leather so I'm interested in giving this a shot. Do you have any preference on which cream to use or is it merely acting as a safe way to lubricate the process?

Thanks so much for the info and help, you're a life saver.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads