• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surf clothing

potato_cannon

Reaction score
Hello all im doing a business a-level coursework piece; and i have chosen to market a surfbrand popular in Australia, called Rusty. Its relatively unheard of here in england so ive decided there is a gap in the market for surf type clothing like boardshorts, T-shirts and flip-flops. Can anyone tell me whether or not they have heard of this brand, have an item of this brand or like the idea of introducing a good surf brand in england?
Cheers.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aussie I definately know of the brand. The only items I own from them are about 12 pairs of boardshorts (I dont even board
redface.gif
) The quality is acceptable but its overpriced; I only buy it cause i get a huge discount.

sunshowers

Reaction score
I live in Canada and had a Rusty t-shirt when I was 13 and grunge/skater stuff was really trendy. I haven't really seen much of the brand since, even in skate and surf shops.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
i'm from hawaii and i also have heard of the brand. i have 1 or 2 boardshorts laying around somewhere. agree with zenny that it's overpriced but all boardshorts are way overpriced. they typically retail around $50-60 depending on the brand at the surf shops in hawaii. thank god for ebay.

kdaust

Reaction score
Yeah I've had a few pair of boardshorts in my time. Rusty, Billabong, Ocean & Earth, Rip Curl, etc are all well known brands in oz.

Introducing it into a foreign market is all about selling a lifestyle... as not many UK surfers are going to be wearing boardshorts when they surf over there (bit nippy for that!)

MrFab

Reaction score
nope. is it pretty much the same as brands like volcom and quicksilver? Maybe it'd appeal to a mass market but for more fashion-concious people most of the major magazines are touting much shorter swimwear

kdaust

Reaction score
He's marketing boardshorts, t-shirts and flip flops though... Not exactly fashion-forward, and probably not aimed at the fashion-conscious people.

potato_cannon

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I was born in, and grew up in queensland AUS until i was 14, so i know all about the fashion and whatever. When i lived there brand name board shorts were the thing to wear, and i think that could possibly be adopted over here. The summer months over here are very nice and people seem to get eccentric with the whole summer thing (many people rip their shirts off as soon as the sun breaks through the clouds. So I think its definately do-able. And one of you said yourself that you dont surf but still own plenty of surfware and clothing.
Thanks again for the comments. Please continue to leave your oppinion.
Tom.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potato_cannon
Thanks for all the replies. I was born in, and grew up in queensland AUS until i was 14, so i know all about the fashion and whatever. When i lived there brand name board shorts were the thing to wear, and i think that could possibly be adopted over here. The summer months over here are very nice and people seem to get eccentric with the whole summer thing (many people rip their shirts off as soon as the sun breaks through the clouds. So I think its definately do-able. And one of you said yourself that you dont surf but still own plenty of surfware and clothing.
Thanks again for the comments. Please continue to leave your oppinion.
Tom.

I think the boom in surfwear here is primarily because of how beach/outdoor oriented Australian culture is. We have the sun and the surf, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's all that big in England.

potato_cannon

Reaction score
That is true but like I said, people in england LOVE their sunny summer days, and would happily pay money for clothing to suite it. Im speaking more about the fashion itself, rather than the suitability due to the climate. Ive had questionnaire results that have shown that people do like the kind of clothing and would pay money for it. Does anyone out there think that its a good fashion when the weather is good for it? I personally love wearing boardshorts and all the rest, even over here.
Thanks again.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I think a strong marketing campaign focusing on the English desire for sunny summer days and beaches. Being an Australian brand may help, as there is a definite connection between the two countries. I would push a strong contrast of traditional English leisure vs. the surf culture. Maybe pull in some regionally unique things from Brit surf culture.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm familiar with Rusty, since I skate and snowboard. Never actually owned any clothing, mind you. They all seem a bit similar, and what's the difference between Rusty, Billabong, Volcom, or any other brand? I think a good idea would be to distance yourself from these brands (Billabong, Volcom, Lost). Use it as an alternative. Personally, I've noticed that in the surf/skate scene, or even those who don't participate in either, people don't want what everyone else already have. Allow people to see themselves as trendsetters, even though this could be the furtherest from the truth.

Oh, and yes, it's way overpriced.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I think the boom in surfwear here is primarily because of how beach/outdoor oriented Australian culture is. We have the sun and the surf, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's all that big in England.
True, but why do we see the same clothing in Middle America. It seems that shows like The OC, or similar movies, combined with a growth of popularity in the alternative sports has created a boom in their clothing industry. While people might not surf, they certainly want to look like they do. Also, every kid... every kid has owned a skateboard. Since skating and surfing is so intertwined, it wouldn't be out of the question to wear clothes from one or the other. EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

alexm

Reaction score
I've heard of Rusty clothing before and have seen it in various surf/skate type shops. The key thing to remember with this sort of clothing is that the majority of people who wear it won't actually have ever even touched a surfboard in their life, the sales are made as a result of the association with the surf culture that high profile brands have. What these types of companies sell isn't the clothing itself but the brand and the positive conotations that wearing that brand can confer on the buyer. Introducing a new brand would probably require costly marketing to establish it with the public.

You also need to consider who your target market would be. Some surf and skate brands are mainly targeted at the youth market, whereas others sell quite heavily to an older market, such as O'Neil, Billabong and, in particular, Fat Face.

Incidentally, which unit and board are you doing this for? (I teach A Level Business).

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering I go to the same school that the Rusty did and surf the same beaches that he did, I am somewhat familiar with the guy and his brand:

Rusty (right) in La Jolla, just south of Blacks:
1979.jpg

Have owned all sorts of things by the brand over the years (never one of his boards though, I suck quite good at surfing). I believe Rusty does have a small presence in the UK and may have even seen it in some London shops before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads