1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Surcingle belt with a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jun 21, 2007.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I associate them exclusively with old men in poly-blend slacks. Old men are sometimes trad, but sometimes an old man is just an old man, man.

For the record, I'm 37. Perhaps I dress like an old man, though I have no poly-blend slacks.

2. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

I don't really like this look at least not for a work environment. It seems to me that both belts and shoes should be made out of leather or at least leather like material for professional purposes.

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't really like this look at least not for a work environment. It seems to me that both belts and shoes should be made out of leather or at least leather like material for professional purposes.
    Welcome back my friend. [​IMG]

4. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I associate them exclusively with old men in poly-blend slacks. Old men are sometimes trad, but sometimes an old man is just an old man, man.

That's my dad! And he has a belt just like Matt's.

5. Joseph K. Bank

Joseph K. Bank Senior member

Welcome back my friend. [​IMG]

Thank you for the warm welcome but this is my first day posting on the forum. I hope that I can contribute something worthwhile to the discussions on the forum particularly those about business dress and professional conduct in the workplace.

6. itsstillmatt

Tying the tie so that the rear blade is longer than the front is Neapolitan. Matt has become quite affected from his sojurns, hasn't he. I bet he drinks espresso and says "Cia bello" after he burps now, too.
    Here you go philistine:
    It may not be to everyone's personal taste but the rear blade of a necktie is perfectly proper tied longer than the front so the front blade falls to the waistband. When the rear is tucked into the trouser, the necktie is held in place but has enough play to sway a bit as you walk. For precedent, see Flusser's Style and the Man. See also jacket open photos of the late Duke of Windsor who had his neckties made to measure and did it nonetheless.
    Most of my ties are either going to be too long with a 4ih, or have one of those big knots which I so dislike if I wrap the tie before I tie it. This way works better.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Thank you for the warm welcome but this is my first day posting on the forum. I hope that I can contribute something worthwhile to the discussions on the forum particularly those about business dress and professional conduct in the workplace.

[​IMG] Did someone sponsor you K-man?

8. j

j Senior member

no, they pronounce it ah-meehr-i-can-ata
    Tu vuò fa' Napoletano?

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

To me, a tie tucked into the waistband just looks like you didn't pay attention last time you went to the bathroom, no matter what i napolitani say.

10. itsstillmatt

Tu vuò fa' Napoletano?
    salutame a sorate
    To me, a tie tucked into the waistband just looks like you didn't pay attention last time you went to the bathroom, no matter what i napolitani say.
    I don't think that you will find anybody in Naples with their ties tucked in. They are busy making sure that they can get the biggest knot possible.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A true surcingle belt is made out of wool, not cotton or any other light material.

I have a vintage Gucci one with blue leather ends, a gold GG logo and blue and red wool.

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

It's more of a casual belt, as pictured on Archibald Cox, Watergate prosecutor.

[​IMG]

I wore the navy and red one today, with chinos. I don't hesitate to wear them with cords or chinos. I have worn them with seersucker and poplin suits. They would pair well with any cotton sportcoat, or chinos and a blazer.

[​IMG]

D-ring ribbon
    cotton webbing with university emblematic over top
    'surgincle' (not sure if it's "real" because there is a bit of elastic in it)

13. presence

presence Senior member

The combination works in a forum that requires an elegant casual appearance.