• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

supplements for recovery

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just walk or do some very light excercise (walking / stretching) to get the blood moving and rid yourself of the aches and pains?

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Easy
Glutamine, ZMA, Protein right after workouts, plenty of sleep and if need be, contrast baths
(1 min ICE cold 2 min warm/hot water)

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Homeslice-
You're out of practice. No need for supplements. If you still have problems with recovery time after having lifted on the regular for 3 months, come back and we'll discuss. People are too comfortable using supplements as crutches.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
My boyfriend thinks so.

yeah - I have a friend who is a chubby-chaser also
laugh.gif

KBW

Reaction score
People who say BCAAs are useless obviously don't know protein or what they do...for certain goals they are very very good to add. Also WMS is much different than Rice Chex and that shows he has 0 clue what he is talking about. I can link thousands of studies on BCAAs that prove their worth and why BCAAs should be taken at certain times and whole proteins or a shake in others.

The original response was correct though in that as a beginner if you are doing what you should you'll be sore for a while.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
People who say BCAAs are useless obviously don't know protein or what they do...for certain goals they are very very good to add.

They're plentiful in every complete protein source. People who say they're needed are marsupials (there, I one-upped you).

Also WMS is much different than Rice Chex and that shows he has 0 clue what he is talking about. I can link thousands of studies on BCAAs that prove their worth and why BCAAs should be taken at certain times and whole proteins or a shake in others.
Then do it...you can't because they're all marketing and anything that shows the benefit of BCAAs needs to be done with a control against normal protein. WMS isn't a lot different from Rice Chex -- both are just high-glycemic carbohydrates.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Various minerals, including potassium, and maybe anti-inflammatories and antioxidants, possibly from vitamins. Simple carbs and protein (maybe not as urgently) - but they're not supplements

KBW

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
They're plentiful in every complete protein source. People who say they're needed are marsupials (there, I one-upped you).

Then do it...you can't because they're all marketing and anything that shows the benefit of BCAAs needs to be done with a control against normal protein. WMS isn't a lot different from Rice Chex -- both are just high-glycemic carbohydrates.

In some situations for example pre workout BCAAs can be taken immediately pre and during workout as they are very light on the stomach (MUCH lighter than full proteins). They can be taken on very low calorie diets and have been studied and are proven to aide in retaining more muscle during weight loss (the full proteins have more calories). They also have been studied to be able to take the place of the simple carbs often consumed preworkout for energy as they are more easily used for energy than full proteins or other proteins. BCAAs also are better for those looking for easier and bigger "pumps" and to help their blood flow and blood pressure. There's MANY reasons BCAAs are different than full proteins. You don't take BCAAs in place of protein you take it at a different time and for different results than full proteins.

Don't call someone "marsupialed" when you obviously know nothing on the subject. I will also post several articles later tonight when I get home from dinner showing the differences b/t WMS and other carbs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
In some situations for example pre workout BCAAs can be taken immediately pre and during workout as they are very light on the stomach (MUCH lighter than full proteins).
Since protein sits in the small intestine for eventual absorption hours after gastric emptying takes place, taking BCAAs before and after working out is kinda silly. Digestion is a lot more complicated than you think.
They can be taken on very low calorie diets and have been studied and are proven to aide in retaining more muscle during weight loss (the full proteins have more calories).
Show me a study. They have fewer calories...but who cares? You can cut carbs or fat and do the same thing (and most people have plenty of carbs).
They also have been studied to be able to take the place of the simple carbs often consumed preworkout for energy as they are more easily used for energy than full proteins or other proteins.
Not only is that counter-productive, but it's also a half-truth. All glucogenic amino acids are easily used for energy. Even then, it's still a while before they're available due to gluconeogenesis' processing speed and the eventual emptying into the bloodstream (ands that's after digestion).
Don't call someone "marsupialed" when you obviously know nothing on the subject. I will also post several articles later tonight when I get home from dinner showing the differences b/t WMS and other carbs.
I'd love to see them. Look, I realize you buy these products and you're convinced they work. That's great. Just don't let your personal delusions become interpersonal.

KBW

Reaction score
no use in responding to you since you make the ridiculous claim that it takes hours to absorb bcaas. You keep talking big and you know nothing in regards to BCAAs

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Waiting for those studies.

sharpcelery

Reaction score
Suggesting ZMA, BCAAs or really any supplement for someone experiencing the initial DOMS of any new workout plan is overkill.

The poster wasn't very specific as to his abilities, but if he's "just starting to pick up weights again" then I would venture to say that the only thing he really needs at this point is food.

As to the OP, avoid DOMS in your future workouts by using gradual weight progressions, getting a lot of good rest. Note that DOMS should not stop you from working out, but it can be pretty uncomfortable. Pop some ibuprofen and get back in the gym so your body can adapt.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sharpcelery
Pop some ibuprofen and get back in the gym so your body can adapt.
Ibuprofen and other NSAIDs (as well as acetominophen) inhibit protein synthesis...actually, they pretty much kill it. They're also not effective for treating DOMS.

ccardill

Reaction score
Most BCAA studies don't reflect real world situations for an athlete or bodybuilder. I don't think over the long term BCAAs or WMS will have any substantial difference between protein and any other fast acting carb. Personally, the best gains I've ever had is when I stop taking all supplements and stuck with whole foods for all my meals. I never worried about a pre/post workout shake, just ate my next scheduled meal. Also, a typical weight workout will never deplete glycogen to the point where you need to restore so quickly with something like WMS. All those studies done on glycogen depletion and restoration involved endurance athletes. Futhermore in regards to protein, muscle cell hypertrophy is dependent on stimulating the muscle as well as the net protein synthesis in the body and muscle. It's important over the long term to have more protein in the body and muscle then is being broken down. Over the long term, you need to have a consistent influx of protein but its source (bcaa, whey, chicken, etc.) is mostly irrelevant.

The one time I think BCAAs could be beneficial is if you workout first thing in the morning and cannot handle anything too substantial before the workout.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your body will adjust and in time you won't be so sore for so long anymore.

Sure I take whey after workouts, and every day almost in the morning, but that's because I'm incredibly skinny and have a hard time eating enough to gain.

The only supps I'm really gung ho about are superfoods like spirulina and chlorella because I without a doubt notice an effect after taking them. 5 grams of spirulina taken on an empty stomach before work and I have more mental and physical energy at the office than all the coffee swillers. Spirulina before a workout too helps me greatly.

I also like ZMA....but it's a bit expensive so I buy bulk magnesium citrate and take it along with b6 and zinc picolinate. I believe ZMA's claims about helping recovery, but there's nothing magical about it. Magnesium, b6, and zinc help you sleep better, that's about it. Better sleep is better recovery. I'd take it if I decided to stop working out even, it really helps when you work in a high stress litigious environment.

edit: studies have shown that glutamine is pretty much worthless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads