• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Supplements for General Health. What do you use?

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
JG, I'm a maca lover too, if you don't mind a little advice, don't take it every day, or even regularly. Maca loses its effect so fast I've found, even if you cycle it. I just keep a bottle of Vitamin Shoppe brand Maca extract handy. When I'm dragging ass in the morning, or need a big pick me up before a workout I pop 5 caps. Only when necessary though.
Thanks for the tip. I actually decrease my doses of it sometimes too. I buy the Vitamin Shoppe brand as well (though I'm using Swanson's Maca right now). I think the VS stuff said "Use 3x daily" right? I was taking it 3x daily but had to cut back after a couple weeks. For lack of a better description, I was just really horny all time. And without having a girlfriend, fiance, wife or significant other; it became more frustrating then helpful. The pill did do it's job though I will give it that. I think I'm going to take your advice and cut it out off my daily/ weekly regimen. At least for now. It probably is more effective (and cheaper) as a "pick me up" than for daily use. So, thanks for your input!!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No prob! The Vitamin Shoppe brand Maca extract is standardized, so it's a bit more potent than what you are getting from Swanson probably.

I love Maca for working out. It's motivation in a bottle. On days I take it, I can do a full body workout and not stop until every single muscle just gives out from fatigue.

On days I don't take it, I'm thinking "I can't wait for this to be over", on days I do take it I think "I hope this workout never ends!"

JG000

Reaction score
No prob! The Vitamin Shoppe brand Maca extract is standardized, so it's a bit more potent than what you are getting from Swanson probably.

I love Maca for working out. It's motivation in a bottle. On days I take it, I can do a full body workout and not stop until every single muscle just gives out from fatigue.

On days I don't take it, I'm thinking "I can't wait for this to be over", on days I do take it I think "I hope this workout never ends!"

I have noticed the VS Maca to be more effective than the Swanson's. Hence me taking less than the recommended dosage (a rarity with my vitamins and supplements). My god, that stuff had me off a wall.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh yeah. The GF loves those big maca loads too. Zinc, lecithin, spirulina, maca can turn you into a ********* pretty easily.

chermy23

Reaction score
Centrum Multi vitamin

Fish Oil

10 mg Creatine

Roughly 150 g of protien

Mauby

Reaction score
Heh yeah. The GF loves those big maca loads too. Zinc, lecithin, spirulina, maca can turn you into a ********* pretty easily.

Javyn, I've heard that maca root has been used as a libido-booster, but you're saying it's an overall energy-booster as well?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
Javyn, I've heard that maca root has been used as a libido-booster, but you're saying it's an overall energy-booster as well?

Yes, it boosts my energy like nothing else. My stomach can't handle any amount of caffeine so this works great.

Inca warriors used to eat maca root before battle.

Mauby

Reaction score
Yes, it boosts my energy like nothing else. My stomach can't handle any amount of caffeine so this works great.

Inca warriors used to eat maca root before battle.

Never heard of maca for energy before today. Thanks for the info.
cheers.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NO problem, person with the best avatar in the entire world!

Rikkar501

Reaction score

derekzee

Reaction score
hmm... great thread but i'm lost and don't know where to start. can anyone recommend something that will have long term benefits on my health?

JG000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by derekzee
hmm... great thread but i'm lost and don't know where to start. can anyone recommend something that will have long term benefits on my health?

Fish Oil

That's what I started with.

JG000

Reaction score
NO problem, person with the best avatar in the entire world!

Javyn,

What's your regimen?

Also, given mine, what do you specifically recommend?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Supplements are a very YMMV thing. What works for me may not work for you, ie, what I love taking and makes me feel great may be snake oil to you. So I can't really recommend much. I'll go ahead and tell you what I take.

Morning for breakfast:

1 tablespoon (about 10-13 grams) of spirulina shaken with 8 oz apple juice.

Occasional pre-workout:

5 Vitamine Shoppe brand standarized Maca extract caps.

After every meal:

1 gram tablet of Vitamin Shoppe brand chlorella

Before bed:

Two Swanson brand magnesium citrate tablets (Swanson often has two for one sales on this)
25 mg zinc gluconate

I don't bother with fish oil since phyto-planktons (like spirulina) are the original sources of Omega 3. I also don't take a multi either, the algaes are enough for nutrition. I also don't take calcium since I eat a lot of veggies and dairy prods, as well as drink a lot of whole milk.

edit: if interested, allstarhealth.com has 4 lb jugs of NOW brand spirulina for 60 dollars. 15 dollars a pound for NOW cannot be beat. next cheapest is iherb.com, 4 lbs for 80.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads