• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superstitions

NavyStyles

Reaction score
The weather here has suddenly turned to drenching rain: not exactly incentive to get up and go to class. Oddly enough, I endured the raindrops to get to class. While on my way there, I started thinking about the old superstition of not having an umbrella opened indoors. And then I kind of wondered what started that belief. I tried a few sites online to get an explanation, but they only had the consequences that would follow for keeping an umbrella opened inside. Does anyone know where or why this superstition originated?

I used to have an old book that explained some superstitious actions, but I can't remember if it mentioned the umbrella. Even if it did, I haven't read the book in quite some time. Maybe I can locate when I'm back home.

An interesting story I remember from it: why we say "God Bless You" after a sneeze. It originated in Medieval Times when people were afraid that the reaction to sneezing (your mouth opening wide) would offer the devil a chance to slip inside your body. In order to propel him, people around you would give their blessings. When the Bubonic Plague rolled around, I think the Pope actually decreed that people should utter the phrase, because so many sneezers eventually died.

Again, I'd like to know the origins of the umbrella superstition and any other superstitions (and their reasons for being) that you might know.

Michael

Reaction score
Well, I know how much I hate having my topics not responded to, so I'm here to let you know that I don't know the answer to your question NavyStyles.

That's it.

Michael

No, really.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Thanks Michael.
smile.gif
Yeah, I know what you mean by not having topics replied to. Although I assumed it was because no one had an answer, there's always that little voice of doubt. Oh well, the question was just on a whim. Maybe I'll find that book someday and have the answers.
biggrin.gif

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
The umbrella superstition goes back to the ancient beliefs regarding sun worship. Since umbrellas shade the sun, they were given magical powers. Thus, opening an umbrella inside out of the sun's rays was considered offensive to the sun god.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Thanks GQL -- I guess I didn't think about how far back umbrellas dated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads