• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superman Returns in IMAX

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Today, I went to see Superman Returns in the best movie format with Mark. The closest IMAX Theatre to me is two hours away though, so it wasn't just like I could run over and buy tickets. Had to wait in a lonnng long line. It started lining up an hour before the movie started! The representative on the phone wasn't kidding when we phoned in a day earlier. I'd say it was worth it.

Now, to the features. Besides a six story by 80 foot wide screen, it boasted an incredible sound system that was neither too loud nor hushed enough for you to hear the annoying nitpickers that inevitably show up to a big summer movie. Also, it featured some nifty 3D effects that didn't require glasses to view. Basically they film it in such a way that it looks like it's popping out in front of you. I can't remember how Mark described it exactly. Picture quality was stellar, though you can tell it probably wasn't shot digitally. Some graininess abounds from time to time, but you barely notice it when you're actually focusing on the characters.

As for the movie, I loved it. This is what a superhero movie should be like. It was both nostalgic and brought something new to the table with special effects and story. Bryan Singer's direction is top notch. Brandon Routh was the spitting image of Christopher Reeve. I kid you not. He's nailed it. The body language, the voice, everything is there. I was skeptical about a relative newcomer filling the void, but no longer. He also, of course, brings a little of his own nuances which do just fine. Kevin Spacey was a suitably darker Lex Luthor compared to Gene Hackman, but still had some lighthearted comedy from time to time. Kate Bosworth was a good Lois Lane and obviously a lot younger than Margot Kidder was even in the first film. She and Clark Kent retain the same dynamics as in past movies. Him rambling on, her interrupting him and almost paying no mind. Her character's evolved a bit since she's now a mother. The story was a lot darker than the previous films, which gained it a PG-13 rating. Some good plot twists here and there, great costumes (though I still want to know why Lex suddenly favours tucking his suit trousers into large motorcycle boots), and of course excellent special effects sequences round it out. There are a few parts that seemed a bit overdone, mushy, or repetitive, but you'll barely notice in this fun movie.

My final verdict: 9/10. My advice: Go see it in IMAX. You'll thank me later.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Today, I went to see Superman Returns in the best movie format with Mark. The closest IMAX Theatre to me is two hours away though, so it wasn't just like I could run over and buy tickets. Had to wait in a lonnng long line. It started lining up an hour before the movie started! The representative on the phone wasn't kidding when we phoned in a day earlier. I'd say it was worth it.

Now, to the features. Besides a six story by 80 foot wide screen, it boasted an incredible sound system that was neither too loud nor hushed enough for you to hear the annoying nitpickers that inevitably show up to a big summer movie. Also, it featured some nifty 3D effects that didn't require glasses to view. Basically they film it in such a way that it looks like it's popping out in front of you. I can't remember how Mark described it exactly. Picture quality was stellar, though you can tell it probably wasn't shot digitally. Some graininess abounds from time to time, but you barely notice it when you're actually focusing on the characters.

As for the movie, I loved it. This is what a superhero movie should be like. It was both nostalgic and brought something new to the table with special effects and story. Bryan Singer's direction is top notch. Brandon Routh was the spitting image of Christopher Reeve. I kid you not. He's nailed it. The body language, the voice, everything is there. I was skeptical about a relative newcomer filling the void, but no longer. He also, of course, brings a little of his own nuances which do just fine. Kevin Spacey was a suitably darker Lex Luthor compared to Gene Hackman, but still had some lighthearted comedy from time to time. Kate Bosworth was a suitable Lois Lane, though obviously a lot younger than Margot Kidder was even in the first film. She and Clark Kent retain the same dynamics as in past movies. Him rambling on, her interrupting him and almost paying no mind. Her character's evolved a bit since she's now a mother. The story was a lot darker than the previous films, which gained it a PG-13 rating. Some good plot twists here and there, great costumes (though I still want to know why Lex suddenly favours tucking his suit trousers into large motorcycle boots), and of course excellent special effects sequences round it out. There are a few parts that seemed a bit overdone, mushy, or repetitive, but you'll barely notice in this fun movie.

There's a super nice IMAX theater in a museum about 10 minutes from me. Unfortunately it is closed because they are adding a huge planetarium to the museum as well. It seems like an awesome movie to see on an IMAX screen.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, I went to see Superman Returns in the best movie format with Mark. The closest IMAX Theatre to me is two hours away though, so it wasn't just like I could run over and buy tickets. Had to wait in a lonnng long line. It started lining up an hour before the movie started! The representative on the phone wasn't kidding when we phoned in a day earlier. I'd say it was worth it. Now, to the features. Besides a six story by 80 foot wide screen, it boasted an incredible sound system that was neither too loud nor hushed enough for you to hear the annoying nitpickers that inevitably show up to a big summer movie. Also, it featured some nifty 3D effects that didn't require glasses to view. Basically they film it in such a way that it looks like it's popping out in front of you. I can't remember how Mark described it exactly. Picture quality was stellar, though you can tell it probably wasn't shot digitally. Some graininess abounds from time to time, but you barely notice it when you're actually focusing on the characters. As for the movie, I loved it. This is what a superhero movie should be like. It was both nostalgic and brought something new to the table with special effects and story. Bryan Singer's direction is top notch. Brandon Routh was the spitting image of Christopher Reeve. I kid you not. He's nailed it. The body language, the voice, everything is there. I was skeptical about a relative newcomer filling the void, but no longer. He also, of course, brings a little of his own nuances which do just fine. Kevin Spacey was a suitably darker Lex Luthor compared to Gene Hackman, but still had some lighthearted comedy from time to time. Kate Bosworth was a good Lois Lane and obviously a lot younger than Margot Kidder was even in the first film. She and Clark Kent retain the same dynamics as in past movies. Him rambling on, her interrupting him and almost paying no mind. Her character's evolved a bit since she's now a mother. The story was a lot darker than the previous films, which gained it a PG-13 rating. Some good plot twists here and there, great costumes (though I still want to know why Lex suddenly favours tucking his suit trousers into large motorcycle boots), and of course excellent special effects sequences round it out. There are a few parts that seemed a bit overdone, mushy, or repetitive, but you'll barely notice in this fun movie. My final verdict: 9/10. My advice: Go see it in IMAX. You'll thank me later.
Who's Mark?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Who's Mark?

i was thinking the same thing.

jovan,
superman was shot on a digital camera. the camera used does not have as much resolution as film, hence, the grain.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Hrm. I stand corrected.

Mark is just a friend of mine.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
i was thinking the same thing. jovan, superman was shot on a digital camera. the camera used does not have as much resolution as film, hence, the grain.
1080P is almost as good as film, and you don’t get ‘grain’ in digital. I think that because the movie was projected on such a large screen, much larger than truly intended you start getting a loss of perspective as the film is stretched. If you watch a film shoot in 1080P (filmed on a Viper FilmStream Camera or the like), such as Star Wars Episode III (yes, I know the movie sucks) in a digital theater (3-Chip DLP) you will see how much better it looks than traditional film. Its crisper and the colors are more vibrant. Jon.

The Grapist

Reaction score
Or you can see Superman Returns on the IMAX, and then on a digital regularly sized screen.

And then once more on the IMAX for good measure because it was amazing.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
1080P is almost as good as film, and you don't get "˜grain' in digital. I think that because the movie was projected on such a large screen, much larger than truly intended thus you start getting a loss of perspective as the film is stretched.

If you watch a film shoot in 1080P (filmed on a Viper FilmStream Camera or the like), such as Star Wars Episode III (yes, I know the movie sucks) in a digital theater (3-Chip DLP) you will see how much better it looks than traditional film. Its crisper and colors are more vibrant.

Jon.

I've only seen one movie in a real digital theater (it was the one-screen theater near UCLA's campus where a lot of action flicks get premiered), and it was night and day compared to seeing a movie in a regular theater. I liken the difference to watching SD television and a quality HD broadcast of the same program. Everythign is crisp. I can't wait for this technology to propagate.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

ugh, I thought this movie was terrible. Originally I had zero desire to see it, then I heard some advance reviews and the trailer made me want to see it, and having seen it wouldn't recommend it.

*Minor Spoiler*

...the movie jumped the shark when you realize that kid is really Superman's. You're telling me that Superman and Lois got nekkid and banged during their one meeting/interview?????? I'd like to see how that event transpired, did he just fly out the window after blowing his super sperm??? And the scene where he throws the piano, killing the bad guy....just stupid.

I don't think a good "Superman" movie can really be made. There's too many things you have to disbelieve, even for a superhero movie. The biggest problem with him is his "alter ego", as if a building full of award winning reporters can't figure out that their 6'3" coworker looks just like Superman, even being gone and returning at the same time??? I know it's a comic book movie and some reality is to be suspended, but it kills any attempt at serious storytelling. And I've never been into him being soooo powerful, there's never any tension that he might not save the day. The kryptonite thing is also silly because if he knows this is the only object that can kill him, you'd think he'd spend a few days removing all traces from the planet, which he could easily do. I'm probably one of the biggest comic nerds on here, but this is a reason I never liked DC comics....their hero's dynamics are so much lamer than Marvel's.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
ugh, I thought this movie was terrible. Originally I had zero desire to see it, then I heard some advance reviews and the trailer made me want to see it, and having seen it wouldn't recommend it.

*Minor Spoiler*

...the movie jumped the shark when you realize that kid is really Superman's. You're telling me that Superman and Lois got nekkid and banged during their one meeting/interview?????? I'd like to see how that event transpired, did he just fly out the window after blowing his super sperm??? And the scene where he throws the piano, killing the bad guy....just stupid.

I don't think a good "Superman" movie can really be made. There's too many things you have to disbelieve, even for a superhero movie. The biggest problem with him is his "alter ego", as if a building full of award winning reporters can't figure out that their 6'3" coworker looks just like Superman, even being gone and returning at the same time??? I know it's a comic book movie and some reality is to be suspended, but it kills any attempt at serious storytelling. And I've never been into him being soooo powerful, there's never any tension that he might not save the day. The kryptonite thing is also silly because if he knows this is the only object that can kill him, you'd think he'd spend a few days removing all traces from the planet, which he could easily do. I'm probably one of the biggest comic nerds on here, but this is a reason I never liked DC comics....their hero's dynamics are so much lamer than Marvel's.

Not so with Batman. Wayne is a loner, thus no one knows he is missing most of the times while he is off being Batman. He has the monetary ability to afford all those gadgets and the time and patience and physical skill to train to fight like a professional soldier.

Jon.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Not so with Batman.

Yes, the only DC character that has Marvel qualities. The rest of the JLA should form a circus troupe.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
You're telling me that Superman and Lois got nekkid and banged during their one meeting/interview?????? I'd like to see how that event transpired, did he just fly out the window after blowing his super sperm??? And the scene where he throws the piano, killing the bad guy....just stupid.

This reminds me of a quote from "Mallrats":

T.S. Quint: But they're engaged.

Brodie: Doesn't matter, can't happen.

T.S. Quint: Why not? It's bound to come up.

Brodie: It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?

T.S. Quint: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

T.S. Quint: How is it that I go from the verge of hot Floridian sex with Brandi to man of steel coital debates with you in the food court?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
laugh.gif
I thought it mentions somewhere in the comics that Kryptonian’s aren’t compatible with humans? GS, You know, Marvel has some pretty crappy characters too, like the Fantastic Four or Aquaman (I don’t care how well its used on Entourage). Jon.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
GS,

You know, Marvel has some pretty crappy characters too, like the Fantastic Four or Aquaman (I don't care how well its used on Entourage).

Jon.

Aquaman is a DC character...the crapfest legacy continues!

Fantastic 4....I don't think they're that bad. I like the fact that everyone knows who they are, they have no alter egos. That in itself is unique in superhero world so it's worthy of some props.

Tho I won't argue there arent other bad Marvel heroes, just that the DC "A-team" is pretty lame.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
That's kinda more than a minor spoiler Get Smart. But, while we're on the discussion...

*SPOILER ALERT AGAIN*

It's implied that Clark Kent as Superman had an intimate relationship with Lois before he disappeared. The audience finally knows why she's so pissed beyond him just leaving. My only problem with this is that apparently she started dating (and also being intimate) with Cyclops there soon after he left if she thinks it's his. But then, that could just be Lois for you.

*END OF SPOILER*

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads