• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superior Leather Restorers

mav

Reaction score
They've done some monogramming/embossing on leather for me - a little expensive and long wait - but top quality work.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my wife had a bag repaired there...good job, but slightly expensive given the extent of the job.

mav

Reaction score
they're repairing two straps on one of my vintage briefcases, but i won't see the finished product until the end of the month. will report back if you haven't already used their services.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
my wife had a bag repaired there...good job, but slightly expensive given the extent of the job.

any before and after photos?

good job or outstanding job?

What of their turnaround time?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry TD no photos and don't remember the exact turn around time, but think it was a couple of weeks or so...

job was to repair a hole @ the corner of bag... is hard to tell that there was a repair.

when they quoted us the price i recall thinking it was a bit more that i expected, but not so high as to make us look for an alternative repair shop.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow. went there today - wanted to have the leather portion of a surcingle belt replaced - and I had the leather replacement parts with me, so this was just for the labor.

I was quoted $125 to do this by Superior Leather Restorers.

I was so shocked, I could not believe this. This is for labor alone. What hourly rate are they charging - $250 per hour for labor?!

I expressed my surprise to the owner, as this pricing seemed more than if I purchased a similar belt new (approximately three times the price for a new, equivalent belt) - he told me "I am not a shoemaker."

I left.

They might do a great job there, but the pricing is insane.

Anyone else have any other recs?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
J-

Try some of these places - http://nymag.com/urban/guides/bestof...ces_repair.htm

There's a place off 5th in the 50s that a woman I work with has recommended. I'll get the name on Monday.

-J

thanks for the reply!

Have you tried either artbag or modern leather goods?

Looking forward to hearing more about the place off 5th in the 50s - much appreciated.

Maybe I should do before and after photos?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have tried this place before. They're very crotchety and seem ill-inclined to help.

I had a belt shortened and was quoted a 4-week turnaround time. I didn't need it urgently so I didn't object.
Four weeks later, I received it, and it was an awful glue job and mess of stitches. Somehow, in the process, they managed to scrape a lot of the finish off the buckle, too.

And the price was completely outrageous. Every time I look at this belt I get irked little!

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
Yes, I have tried this place before. They're very crotchety and seem ill-inclined to help.

I had a belt shortened and was quoted a 4-week turnaround time. I didn't need it urgently so I didn't object.
Four weeks later, I received it, and it was an awful glue job and mess of stitches. Somehow, in the process, they managed to scrape a lot of the finish off the buckle, too.

And the price was completely outrageous. Every time I look at this belt I get irked little!

why did you use them if the price was outrageous? can you show photos of their "after" work? thanks

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
why did you use them if the price was outrageous? can you show photos of their "after" work? thanks
It wasn't outrageous in the sense of what you were quoted, in other words it wasn't so much I would have been better off buying a new belt, but I distinctly remember it seeming stupidly high for what it was. I also asked them about some other jobs and the prices quoted were uniformly batty. Photos if I have time. The description I gave above is accurate, though. Besides, the moral is clear: do not work with irritating people. My suspicion is they mostly do things with bags, and I think there's a picture of Tina Fey or some celebrity hanging in the shop who gets their work done there -- but I am unconvinced.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
wow. went there today - wanted to have the leather portion of a surcingle belt replaced - and I had the leather replacement parts with me, so this was just for the labor.

I was quoted $125 to do this by Superior Leather Restorers.

I was so shocked, I could not believe this. This is for labor alone. What hourly rate are they charging - $250 per hour for labor?!

I expressed my surprise to the owner, as this pricing seemed more than if I purchased a similar belt new (approximately three times the price for a new, equivalent belt) - he told me "I am not a shoemaker."

I left.

They might do a great job there, but the pricing is insane.

Anyone else have any other recs?

Why on earth do you want such a cheap thing repaired when you ca buy new as you say. I rather suspect that they were telling you that such a trifle was beneath - probably true as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads