• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

    The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

    If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Super Bowl

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
6,514
Reaction score
514
Originally Posted by KenRose
lol; little new york was a term made up for Toronto by insecure New Yorkers in the 80's.
FTFY
 

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
4,944
Reaction score
1,106
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon


Edit: I do realise that in a couple of years that my avatar will more than likely have to be changed.


Summer was even stevens. We lost the Ashes, drew the Twenty/20 series, and slaughtered you 6-1 in the ODI series. Was an even summer all round.

And yes, in a couple years, the Ashes will be ours again, rest assured of that.
 

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
1,870
Reaction score
1,269
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
So why call it the world championship if only one country's teams are involved? I very much doubt the champion in caber tossing, hurling, shinty or whatever other quaint sports presumably confined largely to one country consider themselves the world champion.

The Giants are the World champs in baseball.
Now, the Packers earned the title of World champs in football.
I know executives in both sports. They spend lots of $ in South America, Europe and, Asia trying to create world leagues. That would be great for all of us. That's why there was a NFL regulation game played in England this year. So far, no takers........
 

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
1,234
Reaction score
125
I saw Liverpool beat Chelsea and waste 80 million on the same day.. I will sleep well tonight

And I love how the states call it 'world series' haha

Baseball dominated by central/sth Americans and NFL played no where else.

Dont European countries even have them covered in basketball these days?
 

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
4,944
Reaction score
1,106
Originally Posted by Nick V.
The Giants are the World champs in baseball.
Now, the Packers earned the title of World champs in football.
I know executives in both sports. They spend lots of $ in South America, Europe and, Asia trying to create world leagues. That would be great for all of us. That's why there was a NFL regulation game played in England this year. So far, no takers........


They can call themselves world champions, but that doesn't make it so. They're not, pure and simple. Time to accept that truth. Accepting that is no slight against your country or your people. It's just accepting that those teams are the domestic champs of your country. Not the world. The world isn't America.
 

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3,043
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I just heard the announcer say 'the Green Bay Packers are the world champions'. I must have missed when they invited other countries to play.
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass
Anyone who thinks that the team who wins the Superbowl is not the world champion is a dip shit. It's American football. Duh. I hate the sport, but at least I can acknowledge this much.
Originally Posted by KenRose
I'm just curious. What does NFL stand for?
Copernicus called. Apparently, we're not the center of the universe. Anyway, I had no idea that NFL was on today until my wife and I went for a run this evening and we ran into some friends who asked us. Although, I did know it was this weekend because I almost got stranded in Dallas because of bad weather, and the hotels made us sign waivers saying they'd charge us upwards of $1,000/night if we overstayed past through this weekend.
Originally Posted by RSS
Are their uniforms elegant? Made by Rubinacci? Once again I missed the "Super Bowl." I was too busy attending a recital celebrating the 100th birthday of Jehan Alain. One must have priorities ... and watching football on televation -- or in person -- ain't one.
Was it the one by the American Guild of Organists? I believe local chapters around the country are doing recitals to celebrate his centennial.
 

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3,043
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by TheWraith
Summer was even stevens. We lost the Ashes, drew the Twenty/20 series, and slaughtered you 6-1 in the ODI series. Was an even summer all round.

And yes, in a couple years, the Ashes will be ours again, rest assured of that.


Voges.
 

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
4,642
Reaction score
318
Originally Posted by TheWraith
They can call themselves world champions, but that doesn't make it so. They're not, pure and simple. Time to accept that truth. Accepting that is no slight against your country or your people. It's just accepting that those teams are the domestic champs of your country. Not the world. The world isn't America.

Domestic champions in the only country that plays the sport makes them world champions. Yeah it's misleading, yeah it's stupid, but it's technically accurate. They're the best in the world at what they do.

World Series on the other hand...

Actually, I would like to see a true world series with the MLB champ facing off against the Japanese champ. Of course, Japan is essentially AAAA ball, so the leagues not being equivalent would cause some issues. But it would be very cool to see.

Also, to make this MC related, yellow and white don't work well together. The Packers won because they got to wear dark jerseys and look much more awesome. The Packers home uni is the best in the NFL IMO.
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Some absolute shite being spouted on this thread.

I've seen NBA finals winners referred to as World Champions even though there exists a World Championship in basketball which actually invites other countries and amazingly America doesn't always win it.

Same for baseball and American football. No doubt this is sniffed at because the standard isn't as good but at least other countries take part so the 'world' tag is legit.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,085
Reaction score
382
Originally Posted by Metlin
Was it the one by the American Guild of Organists? I believe local chapters around the country are doing recitals to celebrate his centennial.
Yes, it was sponsored by the local chapter of the AGO. I've long been a fan of Alain's Litanies. One day -- although hopefully not too soon -- it will be the postlude at my funeral.

A quick find on youtube for those who don't know the piece:
I first heard it at chapel in my prep school days.
 

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
10,085
Reaction score
382
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I've seen NBA finals winners referred to as World Champions even though there exists a World Championship in basketball which actually invites other countries and amazingly America doesn't always win it.
Surely you realize that to most Americans ... the world is limited to the United States ... in particular the "Lower 48."
 

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
3,319
Reaction score
50
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Domestic champions in the only country that plays the sport makes them world champions. Yeah it's misleading, yeah it's stupid, but it's technically accurate. They're the best in the world at what they do.

x2

It may not be technically correct but for all practical purposes it is.

What's with the American football hate


It seems like some people are taking it personally that there is a sport like football that the USA gets so excited about. If you don't like it, fine, move on. Coming in here and making fun of the sport is just as bad as someone going into a football (soccer for most American's
) thread and saying it's not a "real" sport like American football.
 

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
2,651
Reaction score
485
Originally Posted by Achilles_
x2

It may not be technically correct but for all practical purposes it is.

What's with the American football hate


It seems like some people are taking it personally that there is a sport like football that the USA gets so excited about. If you don't like it, fine, move on. Coming in here and making fun of the sport is just as bad as someone going into a football (soccer for most American's
) thread and saying it's not a "real" sport like American football.


Get a grip man. I don't see anyone making fun of the sport so much as correcting some Americans' notoriously appalling understanding of geography.
 

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
26,132
Reaction score
1,646
Originally Posted by Achilles_
x2

It may not be technically correct but for all practical purposes it is.

What's with the American football hate


It seems like some people are taking it personally that there is a sport like football that the USA gets so excited about. If you don't like it, fine, move on. Coming in here and making fun of the sport is just as bad as someone going into a football (soccer for most American's
) thread and saying it's not a "real" sport like American football.


Soccer and American football are both no real sports...

Rugby union is the one for real men...
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

  • Classic Leather Low-Top

  • Canvas Plimsoll

  • Leather Slip-On

  • Canvas Slip-On

  • Athletic Kicks

  • Leather High-Top


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
435,852
Messages
9,365,627
Members
196,538
Latest member
fashionista13
Top