• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Super 170 -- Durable enough?

Acekun

Reaction score
I'm new here and have learned and read a lot of posts. I appreciate everyone sharing their opinion and knowledge -- it's been quite helpful.

Based on the reviews and posts here, I decided I wanted to order a suit from Thick as Thieves. I need a new navy suit -- basically for interviews, occasionally work and church. I'll probably wear it 2-3 times a month.

However, the solid Navy fabric TaT has available right now is the Super 170. This is a suit that I want to last for a while so I'm a bit worried about durability.

Also, there is the Kid Mohair fabric but I wasn't sure if that is conservative enough for job interviews.

Thoughts? Would Super 170 be durable enough? Is mohair conservative enough? I work in finance (hedge funds).

Also, I tried to find a thread that basically ranked the online MTM companies but couldn't find one. I would love to hear how people would rank them. Thanks.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're going to own one suit, I wouldn't make it mohair or Super 170. It's possible for high number Supers to be pretty durable, but you don't really seem knowledgeable enough to pick out which, especially if you'll be choosing from swatches you see online. Just stick with something more simple. 100% wool, not higher than Super 120.

saiyar1

Reaction score
I would ask them if they can source a more standard navy cloth. They should be able to work with you.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All wool worsted 9-10oz all the way, durable and drape the best

Acekun

Reaction score
All wool worsted 9-10oz all the way, durable and drape the best
Sorry, I'm not understanding you totally clearly. Are you referring specifically to the Super 170 at TaT? It does say it is a 9 oz. Do you own one?

Acekun

Reaction score
If you're going to own one suit, I wouldn't make it mohair or Super 170. It's possible for high number Supers to be pretty durable, but you don't really seem knowledgeable enough to pick out which, especially if you'll be choosing from swatches you see online. Just stick with something more simple. 100% wool, not higher than Super 120.

This is the description he has of the Super 170.

These fabrics are from renowned Italian mill Vitale Barberis Canonico, a super 170 wool/silk blend in lightweight approx 9oz.

Acekun

Reaction score

This is the description he has on his website. (apologies if this is a double post, tried once and it didnt seem to go through).

"These fabrics are from renowned Italian mill Vitale Barberis Canonico, a super 170 wool/silk blend in lightweight approx 9oz."

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I clarify, generally an Italian high number fabric will be light weight, soft and good sheen, however at 9 oz I am afraid the yard will not be a tough one, hence the rubbing area e.g. Thighs, back rise. Will get shinny and thin quicker than a typical all wool worsted (no super number)

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you work at a hedge fund and you're buying TaT?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imhaveno idea how good TaT is, but given good measurements had been taken this should be ok.

Wool and silk blend is ok for business, I doubt there is much silk in it.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. My impression is that TaT is a too "fashion forward" for the finance/hedge fund industry. If it will be one of your work suits, go with something more conservative like BB -- either OTR or MTM. Save the TaT suit for after work clubbing. Choice of fabric is important, but not as important as fit and style.

you work at a hedge fund and you're buying TaT?

Last edited:

Acekun

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. My impression is that TaT is a too "fashion forward" for the finance/hedge fund industry. If it will be one of your work suits, go with something more conservative like BB -- either OTR or MTM. Save the TaT suit for after work clubbing. Choice of fabric is important, but not as important as fit and style.

OK, thanks. I guess I misunderstood what he was implying regarding the hedge fund industry. I thought the TaT "conservative/traditional" cut might be conservative enough. Really, the only time I have to wear a suit for work is conferences and I'll see some guys wear some fashion forward stuff. I guess the only concern is how that type of suit would be received in an interview.

I might turn to Black Label anyway since they have lower Super 100s. But maybe I run into the same fashion forward issue? I will have to take a closer look at their styling.

johanm

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with buying supers cloth or stuff under 12-13 oz, unless it's a fresco. They looks great the first couple times you wear them but then assume an unpleasant limp and wrinkled feel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads