• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sup with ripped jeans?

Smooth Genes

Reaction score
Alright im probably a bit late but are these played out? You know the whole abercrombie/hollister torn up big holes in the knee jeans.

I have a few pair from last summer (3) None of which i wear anymore really but im wondering what the deal is.

im 21 so not in highschool anymore which is where im sure tons of kids are still sporting them.

Your thoughts?

kapay

Reaction score
A decent amount of people are into raw denim and wearing them for long periods of time to give them a personal touch. If a rip forms naturally, it should be embraced but I never understood why you would pay someone else to rip a hole in your pants.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an old pair of PDCs with the knees busted out, a hole in the back pocket from my wallet rubbing, and a hole forming on the front from my keys/phone rubbing, but it's all wear that happened naturally and I think they look good.

Did those heavily pre-distressed jeans ever look good?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought those pre-ripped jeans always looked like crap....but I'm the first to admit I dont know shizzit

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I thought those pre-ripped jeans always looked like crap....but I'm the first to admit I dont know shizzit

I agree, natural rips are always the best.

Goblin

Reaction score
The key is "authentic" wear, best developed by putting an Altoid Sours tin in your back pocket to simulate a Skoal ring, sticking a Zippo in your coin pocket even though you don't smoke, and wearing your jeans for months without washing them despite emitting a charnel-house reek and forming a foamy running sore where your genitalia should be. Once you have achieved "authentic" wear, you may never wear those jeans again and must start over with a new pair. It's axiomatic that obtaining each new pair must require ever-escalating heights of research and effort. But it's all worth it to feel superior to the guy in the Hollister jeans who has the temerity to not realize his own sartorial bankruptcy.
teacha.gif

KingKongLives

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
The key is "authentic" wear, best developed by putting an Altoid Sours tin in your back pocket to simulate a Skoal ring, sticking a Zippo in your coin pocket even though you don't smoke, and wearing your jeans for months without washing them despite emitting a charnel-house reek and forming a foamy running sore where your genitalia should be. Once you have achieved "authentic" wear, you may never wear those jeans again and must start over with a new pair. It's axiomatic that obtaining each new pair must require ever-escalating heights of research and effort. But it's all worth it to feel superior to the guy in the Hollister jeans who has the temerity to not realize his own sartorial bankruptcy.
teacha.gif

tounge.gif
that seems very authentic to me
inlove.gif

someoneNew

Reaction score
Some people can wear them anytime and pull it off. People have done it 10 years ago and will do it in 10 years and pull it off.
I guess for the uber trendy, yes it's played out - but the ripped denim look could always be pulled off if done correctly.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Goblin, sounds like you’re not a fan of the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on japans reproductions of American jeans. Then wearing them “hard” for months on end so they look like you’ve been wearing them for years when you’ve only had them overstarched and stank for the past 4 months. Only to start again in 6 whilst arguing that only true elitist denim heads will understand.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
Once you have achieved "authentic" wear, you may never wear those jeans again and must start over with a new pair.

It's funny because it's true
frown.gif

kapay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
It's funny because it's true
frown.gif

frown.gif
I'm still wearing my STF's after washing them because I can't afford better jeans.

Goblin

Reaction score
Granted, I'm taking the piss, but since I'm currently breaking in my first pair of RRDS and am going for "six months without washing" despite bar-hopping, shows, skating, sitting on the living room or garage floor, and frequently having multiple ferrets up my pants, I'm kind of guilty myself. I just get a kick out of some of the more turgid denim orthodoxy.
smile.gif

No Altoids tins, superfluous Zippos, or obscurity escalation in my future, hopefully.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads