• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suntan

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't go out and actively "tan" like I did back in my high school and college days (esp. as a lifeguard during summers), but I still think a little color is a good thing -- it looks "healthy."

Anyone still lie out with the coconut-scented oil ?

Having a tan used to indicate/suggest that you had the leisure time to enable you to play hours of golf or sail on the Sound. I guess those days are over, but I wonder if anyone still works on getting a summer tan?

Lindsay

Reaction score
Yup. I'm afraid so. I almost hate to admit it, for fear my dermatologist will read this.

There was a time (20s and earlier) where it was a status symbol to be pale. It implied that you were not a laborer, but rather spend your time working (or lounging) inside.

But I personally think EVERYONE looks better with a little color. It can be overdone, certainly - especially on women who get leathery over the years. But as many times as I've tried to go without, I keep going back to it. Although, I try really hard to use sunscreen on my face, at the very least.

And time has proven (contrary to original reports) that SOME natural sun every day is GOOD for you.

Having a tan makes your teeth look whiter. It makes you look thinner. If you're cut, it makes the cuts look deeper. It's why you've heard the term "healthy GLOW" and not "healthy PALE". It's why you hear the term "rosy cheeks" used positively and "sallow cheeks" used negatively. OK, these aren't perfect, but you get the idea. How often have you seen someone really pale and though, "Wow. They look GREAT.."?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How often have you seen someone really pale and though, "Wow.  They look GREAT.."?
Dita von Teese. Otherwise, I totally agree.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are really kidding yourselves.

Yes, a teeny bit of sunlight is good for you, but certainly not enough to affect the color of your skin.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I was about 19, I met an old man (about my age now, I would say) who suggested that I be more careful about the sun. I smiled politley and intended to ignore him. Then he showed me where they had taken a piece off his nose, due to skin cancer.

I still get a little color in the spring and summer, but only because I spend a nice bit of time out of doors. I am a nice, royal pink.

Lindsay

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are really kidding yourselves.
I don't think I'm really kidding myself.  I know that it is not good for me in mass quantity, without any sunscreen.  I just think it looks better.  Vanity?  Perhaps.  But that's one of those tradeoffs I'm willing to make (risks I'm willing to take).  It was a risk Cary Grant was willing to take, and it served him well.

But I understand what you're saying.  99% of all smokers know that it is potential harmful, but the pleasure (in their minds) outweighs the risk.  That's not something I can personally relate to, but it's a similar concept.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
I agree, Lindsay, that a light tan looks better on most fair-skinned people (although I think that dark George Hamilton tans look kind of harsh and outdated).

However my long-term vanity motivates me to protect myself from the sun and use sunless tanner instead.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Ethnic" folks are a whole other matter. I believe many Asians are divided on the subject, but I'm Chinese and I wish I could "untan" or pale up a bit. I look like a Southeast Asian (Vietnamese or Filipino) if I get too dark. Not that we Chinese look upon those from Southeast Asia with disdain or contempt...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Not that we Chinese look upon those from Southeast Asia with disdain or contempt...
a hierarchy of asians definitely exists

the S.E. bunch all occupying the lower rungs

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(j @ June 20 2005,12:58) Dita von Teese. .
damn brother, +1000 on that
What? You guys need to move to Williamsburg or some areas in Montreal, where every second attractive woman looks like her. Maybe it's the lure of the unfamiliar or something, because she definitely looks and acts differently than the typical NW or So Cal. girl. Personally, I tan easily, and have burned about three times in my life, but I do like girls with light, nearly translucent skin - Irish girls are like that sometimes. Dated one. Stunning - green eyes, raven black hair (natural), and pale, pale skin.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Heh... for a second there, I thought that this thread was called

Satan - are there someworshippers out there?
Got me all excited to read two pages of replies.

For the record, my left arm tans from hanging out the car window with a cigarette. Not much else.

And Anton LaVay is a fruitcake.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh... for a second there, I thought that this thread was called

Satan - are there someworshippers out there?
Got me all excited to read two pages of replies.

For the record, my left arm tans from hanging out the car window with a cigarette. Not much else.

And Anton LaVay is a fruitcake.
LMFAO.

Seriously, Tokyo, you have too much time on your hands. You need to either do something useful, like helping j. get the new server running, or using his computer for the "clicking with one hand" trick. All day long. A happier man makes a happier world.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
What? Â You guys need to move to Williamsburg or some areas in Montreal, where every second attractive woman looks like her. Â Maybe it's the lure of the unfamiliar or something, because she definitely looks and acts differently than the typical NW or So Cal. girl.
Dita is actually from these parts.....she used to hang out at the Derby back when that was one of our regular stomping grounds before she was "Dita" and just "Heather" but that's the "look" i like....all Dita lookalikes get in single file behind my gf.
tounge.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(LA Guy @ June 20 2005,17:17) What? Â You guys need to move to Williamsburg or some areas in Montreal, where every second attractive woman looks like her. Â Maybe it's the lure of the unfamiliar or something, because she definitely looks and acts differently than the typical NW or So Cal. girl.
Dita is actually from these parts.....she used to hang out at the Derby back when that was one of our regular stomping grounds before she was "Dita" and just "Heather" but that's the "look" i like....all Dita lookalikes get in single file behind my gf.
tounge.gif

No sh*t. I used to go to the Derby a lot in 1997 and early 1998. Got a little old though, and moved on. I don't remember meeting or even having seen her. Oh well, too bad for me, I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads