• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses

rlevine

Reaction score
So the snow is still on the ground and its getting brighter and brighter.  I had to squint my eyes all day today.  I don't own any sunglasses, but now I'd like to buy some.  What are some good, stylish brands?  I'm looking to spend around $100 for a good pair.  Is there any sense paying more?  Would a more expensive brand protect my eyes better or be better-constructed?

(I'm 20 and still in college with small eyes.)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Persol are a good value (though in the $120-140 range IIRC) and classic styles, for the most part. I like them a lot. Available with polarized lenses, which are good for driving.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like sunglasses at night to keep track of the visions in my eyes. Check out www.giarre.co, lots of super cool sunglasses at well under retail. And make sure that you by them from a respectable retailer and that they are polarized. Otherwise, they are of no use whatsoever.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally like sunglasses at night to keep track of the visions in my eyes.
You're so Canadian...
tounge.gif
I second the Maui Jim titanium - got mine on sale but nowhere nearly as cheaply as Stu.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Persol are a good value (though in the $120-140 range IIRC) and classic styles, for the most part. I like them a lot. Available with polarized lenses, which are good for driving.
I own Persol and although I think they're stylish they're cheaply made and the glasses are far from spectacular.

The best sunglasses I own are Serengeti Drivers. But Serengeti frames tend to be dull and quite the opposite of stylish...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I own Persol and although I think they're stylish they're cheaply made and the glasses are far from spectacular.
Really? I admit I did scratch the glass a bit, but I don't know that that's its own fault. I have had good luck with the build quality, at least as opposed to say, Guccis at the same price level, which were abysmal. These at least have metal hinges and the flex points seem to help them keep from breaking.

The pair I wear most of the time is from Ray-Ban, they are squarish metal frames, polarized, and I rubbed off the dark coating on the frames to leave behind bright chrome color, which is somewhat unusual. I like them a lot. Unfortunately, due to being bent around somewhat, the glass wants to pop out, and sometimes does.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
To be honest, I always treat sunglasses as umbrellas as I always tend to lose them (or break them as I'm jumping into a NYC cab). In the interest of economy, I buy mine from www.pacsun.com. I do have one very nice pair of Oliver Peoples sunglasses that I love. Panzer

bch

Reaction score
Here's another vote for Maui Jim. I have black frames with grey lenses (either Typhoon or Cyclone, can't remember). I've had them for two years, and not single scratch on lens or frames. Outstanding all-around glasses and well worth the money.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Feb. 25 2005,15:56) I own Persol and although I think they're stylish they're cheaply made and the glasses are far from spectacular.
Really? I admit I did scratch the glass a bit, but I don't know that that's its own fault. I have had good luck with the build quality, at least as opposed to say, Guccis at the same price level, which were abysmal. These at least have metal hinges and the flex points seem to help them keep from breaking. The pair I wear most of the time is from Ray-Ban, they are squarish metal frames, polarized, and I rubbed off the dark coating on the frames to leave behind bright chrome color, which is somewhat unusual. I like them a lot. Unfortunately, due to being bent around somewhat, the glass wants to pop out, and sometimes does.
All brands you just named come from just one supplier. Luxxotica in Italy. I think they make roughly 80% of the worlds (branded) sunglasses.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(or break them as I'm jumping into a NYC cab.)

Ouch. Have never done that. Just some friendly advise: duck your head when going into cabs. Also, there is no need to jump into the cab unless you are leaving the scene of a crime. In which case, please do elaborate.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear by my Maui Jim's in the sport titanium frame. They retail for close to $300 but I bought them on Ebay for $140. Well worth it to scout Ebay.
I agree, my favs are Maui, but I also like Oaks for sport, and Ray Bans for casual different look.

stache

Reaction score
Just get something with UV coating. Get a couple of cheapies to have as spares in case you lose your 'nice' pair. They are kind of a drag to carry around but pretty necessary for your occular health these days.

Heron

Reaction score
I've owned both Maui Jim's and Serengeti Drivers and find the MJ's are better at cutting glare and they are a darker lens for brighter days. The Serengeti's were better on bright somewhat overcast days though.

I often found that I was squinting with the Serengeti's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics