• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses

FCS

Reaction score
Any recommendation of sunglasses that is elegant AND fashionable? The one that is long-lasting, of course.

rayk

Reaction score
I bought three pairs of sunglass this past summer: two Persol and an Armani.  The Persol were priced at just over $159 per pair, and the Armani at $225. Persol had a wider selection of styles, at least where I shopped.  While both brands are of good quality, I perfer the slightly more fashionable Armani line.  I'm sure that you could do better on the price were you to shop online.

FCS

Reaction score
Hem, Armani items tend to be wildly overpriced relative to their quality. Any other suggestion?

rayk

Reaction score
These brands might assist you in getting a sense of style and price. Â I chose the link for selection not price; I'm sure that you could do better.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I have Spy sunglasses. I really really like them. They are on average ~$90 with regular lenses, ~$120 with polarized lenses. I highly recommend them. Here's where I got mine, where shipping was at no charge: http://www.intersun.com I feel as though designer glasses and sunglasses are often just an easy way for designers and manufacturers to get together and charge a lot more for a mediocre product. I really like Silhouette and Flexon eyeglass frames and Spy sunglasses. I used to have a (pretty nice) pair of polarized Ray Ban sunglasses, but I much prefer my Spy glasses.

jrh

Reaction score
Eyewear of the bespoke nature include 2.5 eyephonics and swissflex. Â The USA agent is www.italee.com. Â The style or fashion is up to you. Â This stuff is very nice and tints/mirrors can be to your spec. Â The lenses are perscription capable. Â Hightech stuff of classic to spac-age designs, as you choose. Oliver Peoples (oliverpeoples.com) should also be checked out. And well, then there is Lunor (lunor.com), which are handmade top of the line frames. Â Both Oliver Peoples and Lunor do classic stuff. Muai Jim is reportedly the best sunglasses on the market. Â Also see Revo and Oakley. Â All have web pages. None of these are cheap and certainly not toys. But stylin', very well made eyewear. Â With that in mind startoff with classic designs, as they will last a longtime, with proper care.

thc

Reaction score
Try Lunor, Morgenthal-Frederics, Robert Marc house brand or Oliver Peoples. The people at the Robert Marc stores really know what they're talking about when it comes to recommending a set of frames. Lunor frames are incredible. They're handcrafted in Germany and feel weightless.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Any recommendation of sunglasses that is elegant AND fashionable? The one that is long-lasting, of course.
Cartier. *oops*..sorry naturlaut
I hate you
smile.gif
There is a place in Hong Kong that offers custom-made frames (and lenses from various factories). Are there others that you know of? Cartier offers "MTM" services in terms of lenses selection, so does Charriol.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Jean-Paul Gaultier for me.

Amazing individualism, vintage or modern styles, and nothing else looks like 'em.

Plus unlikely anyone else will be wearing a pair as they are quite rare (and pricey.).

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I've been looking to replace my scratched up 5-year old Oakley wire-frames, and from the recommendations on this topic, looked at both Maui Jim and Oliver Peoples, as well as Oakley. I must say that the first two brands have impressed me tremendously. I used to think that my Oakleys were great, but the sheer clarity and protection offered by the Maui Jims are significantly superior. The optics on the Oliver Peoples are almost as good, and I think their designs are much more elegant. I think some of Oakley's models are much better suited for athletic activities rather than daily wear. Maui Jim seems to have a limited color selection so is less likely to serve as a fashion accessory, but they have a huge selection of frame shapes. With OP there is a definite premium for the name and the Madison Ave digs but they're really nice glasses.

Just thought I'd share.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads