1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by FCS, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

After my 10-month old son somehow got hold of my Ray-Bans (Highstreet Metals with the black frames), I was looking for something stylish and cheap.

I recently purchased a pair of Tommy Bahama sunglasses at Nordstrom Rack for about $30. Good price and good selection. I would recommend looking there.

Bradford

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Sunglasses -- where fashion meets technology.

Just do yourself a favor and think strategically about picking out frame shapes and colors that complement your face. I think a lot of people just go for the coolest looking high tech wraparounds they can find, without thinking about whether their lenses ought to be squarish or oval, frames brown or silver, etc..

M#4

3. j

j Senior member Admin

Thanks for the tip. Â I could get a whole bunch of those for the price of an MJ or OP. Â [​IMG]
    Exactly. Â At 60-85% off the retail price, they were an awesome deal. Â I am kicking myself for not picking up a pair, maybe I'll stop back tomorrow. Oh, there was this pair I liked, but I don't know if they were too out there...They were made by Gucci, and I thought they looked cool. Â What do you all think? [​IMG]
    Too out there.. no way. I think they're pretty cool. They are a lot like a pair of Guccis I had in black which unfortunately were lost in an 'incident'. However, Guccis are not made extremely well, so don't look for performance proportional to price. For similar styles (to the more classic Gucci ones) check Persol- same price range, glass polarized lenses, good hinge system, etc. I have a pair of Persols I really like that replaced those Guccis. Also Ray Ban wireframes for driving in.. gotta keep that side view clear with the psycho drivers around here.

4. VMan

VMan Senior member

As far as quality vs. price ratio, the White-Framed Gucci's were only $30 at Marshalls, so if they last me a year or two I'd be happy. I'm going to swing by tonight in hopes that they are still there.

5. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Gucci's are far the worst quality/price ratio. An old roomate of mine bought a pair and they literally fell apart in a few months. They seem to be made of cheap plastic.

Coincidentally, at the same time I bought a pair of Emporio Armani shades that are still in heavy use till this day (2 years later) and show no signs of aging, despite being dropped numerous times.

6. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

DEVO. But then again, I don't know what you look like, so maybe you can carry it off - I know I couldn't.

7. mode_addict

mode_addict New Member

i would suggest versace's, valentino's or fendi's. i'm still currently wearing my ysl's though.
    gucci's are poorly made but i still want a pair from the ss04 collection.

8. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

You got that right. I remember as a teenager wearing a pair of Aviators and thinking I was the coolest kid in school. It wasn't till years later that I realized that people with round faces shouldn't wear Aviators. Maui Jim's website has a useful lens by face-shape guide. On polycarbonate vs glass, I think I'm liking glass lenses more. They may be a it heavier but I think glass has superior clarity to plastic.

9. JFK

JFK Well-Known Member

The best sunglasses I've ever owned, by far: Serengeti (and no, those are not Serengetis in the picture over there...) - they list for ~ $150 (USD) and up, but you can find them discounted on lots of sites; in fact, I just snagged a pair for $30 on ebay.

10. theodoro

theodoro Member

I have had good luck with Persols. Â The prospect of even higher lense quality has piqued my interest in Maui Jim. I have purchased several pair of Persols from www.go-optic.com, the prices and service are good. Teo

11. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I think glass lenses are far superior to polycarbonate in scratch resistance (except for glass lenses with fragile coatings, like Oakleys). Usually, but not always, the glass lenses will have better clarity. I've tried some of the newer polycarb sunglasses and they seem pretty close to glass in terms of clarity.

The one place polycarbonate sunglasses are undoubtedly the best choice is in lenses for sports or outdoor use, because their superior impact resistance will prevent them from shattering like glass lenses do.

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

glasses are not for dressy men...and rather bad for eyes in town

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Any recommendation of sunglasses that is elegant AND fashionable? The one that is long-lasting, of course.
    In the words of Lil' Jon...."Whaaaaaat?"

14. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I love my glasses: Spy Neo Scoop glasses, supposedly inspired by the Ducati MH900e [​IMG] I'm thinking of picking up a pair of Rudy Project glasses.

15. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Perhaps you can tell that to my optometrist. Â He'd certainly disagree on the latter, and probably on the former as well [​IMG]

16. banksmiranda

What do you think of Revo glasses?
    For the following purposes what do you think are the best sunglasses?

bicycling
    motorbiking
    tennis
    driving
    and other categories which you think of

17. ernest

ernest Senior member

Perhaps you can tell that to my optometrist. Â He'd certainly disagree on the latter, and probably on the former as well [​IMG]
    When you have no glasses you "close" your eyes by reflex and protect whem. With glasses, sun attack eyes in the sides when you wear glasses and you do not feel it... Too dark glasses have the same problem = you do not protect your eyes by yourself by "closing" your eyes but you are not protected at 100% So glasses must cover all sides of eyes..... 99% of glasses do not do this.

18. banksmiranda

But you can't walk around with your eyes always closed...or can you?
    There are wraparound shades, unless you absolutely refuse to wear them with a suit. My black Spy glasses are good for nearly everything. Oakley M-frames, however, may look a bit out of place with a business suit. [​IMG]

19. brhee

brhee New Member

Looking for these sunglasses. Can anyone identify them and where I can purchase? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

20. zyg0te

zyg0te Senior member

Looking for these sunglasses. Can anyone identify them and where I can purchase? Thanks!

1. Thanks for bumping a 4 year old thread
    2. Those look like regular glasses with tinted lenses
    3. Those are FUGLY