• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses Reduce Effects Of Jet Lag

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
You know, it would make it a lot easier to take you seriously if your member name weren't your business name. Just a public service announcement.

Oh yeah, 1 day recovery per hour flying west is BS, but I'll give the sunglasses thing a shot on my next flight.

Tyto

Reaction score
Strange--I always wear sunglasses when I travel (though usually because I prefer window seats and want to cut the glare a bit), and I don't tend to suffer too much from jet lag. I'm intrigued that the two might be related, but I'd really like to see more of the science behind that assertion; the links don't really provide a satisfying explanation.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
You know, it would make it a lot easier to take you seriously if your member name weren't your business name. Just a public service announcement.
Like Carlo Franco or Alex Kabbaz or FIH Ties or Mulberrywood? Or are we just selectively annoyed today?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Like Carlo Franco or Alex Kabbaz or FIH Ties or Mulberrywood? Or are we just selectively annoyed today?

Of those four, only 'FIH Ties' even vaguely suggests a business enterprise, and I don't even think I've seen posts from any of them. But maybe it's just that I don't remember their posts because they don't indulge in an endless string of (directly and indirectly) self-promoting threads. Um, I mean, public service announcements.
tounge.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
You mean like Alexander Kabbaz?
devil.gif
Jon. Seriously though, I agree. Unless you are AA or the Sartorialist which are not selling anything.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Of those four, only 'FIH Ties' even vaguely suggests a business enterprise, and I don't even think I've seen posts from any of them. But maybe it's just that I don't remember their posts because they don't indulge in an endless string of (directly and indirectly) self-promoting threads. Um, I mean, public service announcements.
tounge.gif

Unless he's the publisher of Medical News Today, I find it hard to fathom how this thread could be self promoting. Unless you're suggesting that every post is self promoting due to his handle, but then the same could be said of several other members as well.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Unless he's the publisher of Medical News Today, I find it hard to fathom how this thread could be self promoting. Unless you're suggesting that every post is self promoting due to his handle, but then the same could be said of several other members as well.

Well, again, most of the previously identified handles do not suggest business enterprises.

As for why someone in the image consulting business would be promoting the use of sunglasses, you surely cannot be as naive as that. Most people I know who want to block light from their eyes during a flight close the blinds and/or wear sleep masks. But why promote those, when they're not a fashion accessory? You don't need an image consultant to advise you want kind of $5.99 sleep mask looks best for the shape of your face, do you?

I have to say though, this 'Medical News Today', seems like a very serious publication, what with the little graphic of the hottie blonde in surgical scrubs (to what purpose exactly?).

He added that immigration officials often ask you to take your sunglasses off - this can weaken the benefits.
Yeah, because taking off your stupid Ray-Bans for 5 seconds to allow an immigration official to match your mug against your passport is going to counteract the beneficial effects of eight hours of wearing sunglasses. Seems plausible.
rolleyes.gif

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
As for why someone in the image consulting business would be promoting the use of sunglasses, you surely cannot be as naive as that. Most people I know who want to block light from their eyes during a flight close the blinds and/or wear sleep masks. But why promote those, when they're not a fashion accessory? You don't need an image consultant to advise you want kind of $5.99 sleep mask looks best for the shape of your face, do you?
I must have missed the part where he had a side business selling sunglasses? Maybe he is Ray Ban's largest stock holder! Time to break out the tin foil hat I guess... there are plots to manipulate us everywhere!

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
I must have missed the part where he had a side business selling sunglasses? Maybe he is Ray Ban's largest stock holder! Time to break out the tin foil hat I guess... there are plots to manipulate us everywhere!

My, that's a rather clever bit of hyperbole.

Regardless, assign credibility to whatever information you deem worthy, and others will do the same.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Sorry, did I come off as annoyed? I promise there's nothing on the internet that can annoy me, other than stock market nose dives
tongue.gif

Certainly valid, but I would argue that Chuck, Alex, Jonathan, and David respectively have all personalized themselves to a great extent on the boards. For one, none of them are anonymous, which is good business practice as well as good manners.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Borace and a few others. To the surprisingly unkind comments, gift horse, mouth.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MIC.

I think what Tom was trying to say is that when ever I see a thread that you start, I always expect to see "and if you send me a check for $49.95 I will solve the problem for you!!" at the end. The 3 or 4 other vendors who post here regularly post on a wide range of topics, and have exposed a little of their personality, I get the impression, which may be very wrong, that you show up here as part of your marketing efforts.

which isn't to say "bugger off", nor do I believe Tom meant that, either. Might I suggest you consider this a place to hang out and relax a little. I know of sevel posters here who have done business with each other, without being activly prospecting (one poster here has done websites for several others, for instance). as it happens, most of us have a fondness for something that you have chosen to do as a living, and I am sure that that could lead to some interesting friendships and conversations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads