1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses Recommendations

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Brian SD, Apr 5, 2005.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like Cutler & Gross.

Ray Ban Wayfarers are always nice.

2. guest

guest Senior member

^i don't like them so much. have a few but never bought them. i'm into strongly rectangulat frames right now either for glasses, sunglasses in metal and plastic.

3. Najee D.

Najee D. Senior member

We've got a fair selection of deadstock vintage eyewear in the shop here. There are a few that some SF guys may be able to get into. I can take photos wearing any of them so you guys can get an idea.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

They really are just for style. I have no idea what polarizing is. 100% UV protection is no good at all, for protection?

If you are buying sunglasses just for the style go to Urban Outfitters or H&M and buy a bunch of pairs for $5-$15 a pair. Then you have all the style you want.

Three words: Maui Jim polarised. Try www.mauijim.com. They make the brightest, clearest, polarised lenses in the industry. There will be no turning back after you try some of their shades. I've had my share of Vuarnets, Ray Bans, Cartiers, Oakleys, Revos, etc but none can hold a candle to a pair of Maui Jims (try the Sandy Beach for an eclectic look, I have a pair of these, amongst my four other pairs, they're great for driving as well). If you're going to buy sunglasses, you might as well get the best polarised lenses in the business. I tend to avoid "designer" shades nowadays, which may be great on styling, but leave a lot to be desired in terms of optical performance. For an alternative brand, Serengeti polarised are pretty good as well.

Maui Jims are good quality for the lenses but overall I don't think they can even get close to Barton Perreira. I don't know what your budget is but if you can
    afford them (or wait for a Gilt sale) then they are significantly better than Maui Jim. Their lenses and build quality is impeccable. Along the same level as Maui Jims are Oliver Peoples, although some say quality has dropped since Luxottica bought them. Looks wise they Oliver Peoples is great. Since you mentioned style is important, I think it takes out most Maui Jims since their styling is a bit iffy.

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ahh, I see. Interestingly I just happened to read an article stating that wearing polarized sunglasses makes it easier to recognize a rip current in the ocean.

If you have a bimmer you won't be able to see some of the displays on some of the models with polarized lenses as well.

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

And just realized this thread is from 2005???

7. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Go with Shuron. They will send you testers so you can get custom fitted for eye/bridge/temple.

http://www.shuron.com/

8. Numan

Numan New Member

I have a pair of Dita Midnight Special which are fabulous, not cheap however.

9. velobran

velobran Senior member

Go with Shuron. They will send you testers so you can get custom fitted for eye/bridge/temple.

http://www.shuron.com/

I just found out about Shuron yesterday. Can anyone speak of the quality? Looks interesting.