• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

underwood

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm in the market for some new sunglasses after the lenses on both pairs of my polarized Ray-Bans have cracked. I work/live in Bermuda and work a lot on boats, diving a lot and so need some sturdy polarized glasses. The thing is, there's something that just bothers me about the fact that Luxottica owns practically everything. I enjoyed my Ray Bans, and I really like the look of Persols. Yeah, they're quality glasses, but I'd just like something not technically owned by such a giant company. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I still might get some Persols if it comes down to it, but I was just wondering if any of you knew off the top of your head some good brands that Luxottica doesn't have control of. I think they even own Maui Jim now. I did some googling, but couldn't find a whole lot out. Thank you! - Andrew

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a question: what sunglasses actually give you quality for the money/

feliks

Reaction score
weird request

e: could you expand on why exactly this bothers you?

narm60

Reaction score
FAIK Maui Jim is still independent. They have particularly good lenses

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GSaavedra
Randolph Engineering has some nice classic aviation-inspired frames. Made & designed in the USA.

Yep. Same goes for American Optical.

Both are made in the USA; super affordable (~$30-60); and have a variety of frame colors, lens colors, lens materials, etc.

The problem with these brands is that neither has a decent website where you can view all the configurations. For example, if you want some American Optical original aviators with, say, gold frames and amber lenses, you can't see them unless you order them.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Mykita was mentioned above. They're good, I like them.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maui Jim
Oliver Peoples
Super
Mosley Tribes

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oliver peoples and mosly tribes are owned by luxotica

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
Oliver peoples and mosly tribes are owned by luxotica

yeah i just finished double checking, what a shame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads