1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

1 and 3 are your go. I would pass on those clubmasters even in another color.

2. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Thanks for the opinion although now I'm really confused. I thought #2 looked better than 1. I guess it's good that I asked for another opinion.

Glad to know #3 looks good since I already bought those. Yeah, I decided against the Clubmaster because the shape just doesn't look right for me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

Maybe the picture is a bit off. Those smartphone cameras deform the picture a bit.
    For me, it's my opinion, do those #2 sit too high on your nose.

4. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

But you can't go wrong with #2.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  5. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

You're probably right. I'm new to sunglasses so I'm still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.

6. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Vicious, I think you could pull off any of those if you wanted, club master would have to be tortoise frame and it'd be a bold choice but you could pull it off if you wanted to.

7. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Hey guys. I've been looking for a pair of sunglasses that looks good on my face for a while. Finally found a nice frame from Warby Parker (reynold) but unfortunately it doesn't come with sunglass lenses. I'm thinking of ordering the frame only and put my own lenses on. Any recommendation on where I can buy some good polarized lenses and have them put them in the frame for me?

8. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

So the pair of Ray-Ban RB3379 came in. I ordered both that I had pictured earlier. I figure this way I can try them on at home in peace and return the ones I don't like. I took a few different angles. Let me know if these look ok or if they should go back. Thanks.

[​IMG]

9. ajk170

ajk170 Member

Vicious- I think you nail it with the Ray Bans like mr usneum and the others suggest. The look more finished than the REs. I think the wayfarer style looks good on you, but those particular ones look like the black rubberized ones, which always like a little cheap IMO. I submit a tortoise frame would look better on you if you like the wayfarer style. But the RB 3379 are a lock.

10. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Thanks for the feedback AJK. The wife got back from out of town last night and said these look good on my face but it has too much of a Bollywood (reminds her of some of the Bolllywood stars she's seen) vibe going which isn't really my style. I knew something felt off about them. The 1 thing that I didn't like about the RB3379 in terms of practicality is that with the curve on them, they kept hitting my eyelashes so I had to keep readjusting them.

She actually liked these Serengeti's better for me (pics below). They are simpler which she thinks is more my style and I'm more likely to wear them. She's probably right. The RB3379 felt a bit too flashy for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

Aviators and Serengeti are your go. The wayfarers are a bit 'out of your age'. If you want that classy look that you can wear to a suit and to, let's say, shorts on the beach, those are yours.

12. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Thanks Mr.Usneum. I've already packed up the RayBan RB3379 to send back. Might do the same with the Wayfarers when they arrive. The RE Aviators are a definite keeper. The 1 thing that concerns me about the Serengeti's is that it's not a glass lens.

1. In your experience, have you noticed that a glass lens seems more accurate or clear than plastic or polycarbonate lens? Or is that all in my head?

2. I've never heard of Serengeti before. Are they considered a good brand. Their MSRP is certainly up there but that doesn't always equate to equality.

13. ajk170

ajk170 Member

Those two looks are really close and the fit is what matters - the RBs have a bit more more flash than the others. Good to see you land on one that you like and looks good for you!

14. mr usneun

mr usneun Senior member

To 1. Since I do have to wear contact-lenses, I can't really talk about the clarity or the build quality while looking through the shades. What I do know is that plastic lenses are more vulnerable for scratches than glass lenses. I heard that only materials harder than glass can actually scratch glass and plastic is very Weak.

To 2.
    However Serengeti looks like a brand with quality and knowledge. If you think they 'feel' / are up their price, why not keep it?

Also, now that you have 2 shades you won't scratch any of them in the near future soon. I myself have 6 pairs of high quality shades and they all look like new!

15. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

I'll probably wear the RE Aviators mostly for driving. I love how the brown lens isn't too dark, even when it's cloudy out. It I'll wear the Serengeti's for most other things since it has a photochromic lens that should adjust to the light conditions.

I might still try the Wayfarers in a tortoise shell and see how those look. But I do see what you mean about those maybe not being age appropriate.

16. Vicious49

Vicious49 Senior member

Just noticed no one has posted in here for almost 2 weeks now. I saw a really good deal on some matte Havana Wayfarers so I decided to give it a shot. I was shocked when I opened the box and they were polarized and made in Italy. Not sure if the Italy thing matters at all outside of resale value.

[​IMG]

17. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

I hate buying relatively expensive sunglasses that are not polarized...what is the cost difference and if you have lenses on sunglasses is there some place you can send them away and have the glass replaced?

I bought some moscot miltzens on ebay, which I love, but really wanted them in the green lenses and polarized...neither of which were an option.

18. jplay51

jplay51 Well-Known Member

19. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Senior member

Hi guys! I'm an avid sunglass collector and I've put together a collection of pieces over the years. I have a bunch of others not in the picture, but here are my favorites that I will most likely hold on to:
    [​IMG]

Going down the columns from left to right: Mykita Icco, Mykita Carlos, Mykita Herbie, Mykita Pierce. Randolph Engineering Aviator, Gold & Wood H09, Morgenthal Frederics Stealth Horn, Cutler and Gross 0734. Loree Rodkin by Sama Hunter, L.G.R. Massawa, Oliver Peoples Benedict 59, IC! Berlin Wladimir P.

1 person likes this.
  20. palma

palma Senior member

Anybody if Randolph Engineering sunglasses can be had on sale? Looking for bright chrome grey polarized ones.