1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

They look pretty silly on military types. They should only be allowed on cyclists, triathletes and beach volleyball babes.

Oakley may not be the style that most are looking for but they fit snug which is good for sports and also wearing under helmets.

2. CityConnection

(For what it's worth, I think 80% of the people who wear Aviators can't pull them off, and just wind up looking like douches.)

I agree. People just wear them because they are "cool". It just doesnt fit call face shapes and some do look like douches.

3. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Mosley Tribes - Gates. Does anybody own a pair? How are they? Fit pic?

Can't decide 100% whether I wanna go cheaper with some Rayban wayfarer types (squares or 2140), the Choroid Plexus by CoN, or Mosley Tribe Gates.

Gates
    [​IMG]

CoN's
    [​IMG]

or ray bans

Squares:
    [​IMG]

2140s
    [​IMG]

4. dropbeats

dropbeats Senior member

Whats wrong with oakleys they look pretty dope to me?

5. funkygroove

funkygroove Well-Known Member

They look pretty silly on military types. They should only be allowed on cyclists, triathletes and beach volleyball babes.

Eh, all my ROTC friends get 75% discounts on Oakleys so they are kind of the sunglasses of choice for all soon to be in the military kids. I don't find them especially attractive but I understand the appeal.

6. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

I don't own any Mosley Tribes, but the make great sunglasses and are high quality.

7. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Whats wrong with oakleys they look pretty dope to me?
    They're over the top, 'extreme' glasses marketted at people that want to look 'cool' and 'trendy', they are just as much a status symbol and marketting stunt as Ed Hardy and iPhones (those two are only related by this comparison and by the gods I hope it stays that way). Unless you really are an athlete who needs to benefit from the high impact durability you might as well stamp 'try hard' on your forehead to complete the look.

8. dropbeats

dropbeats Senior member

They're over the top, 'extreme' glasses marketted at people that want to look 'cool' and 'trendy', they are just as much a status symbol and marketting stunt as Ed Hardy and iPhones (those two are only related by this comparison and by the gods I hope it stays that way). Unless you really are an athlete who needs to benefit from the high impact durability you might as well stamp 'try hard' on your forehead to complete the look.

uh ok what about the thumps, to expensive for what they are but I like them

Dog wears em

[​IMG]

9. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Mosley Tribes - Gates. Does anybody own a pair? How are they? Fit pic?

Can't decide 100% whether I wanna go cheaper with some Rayban wayfarer types (squares or 2140), the Choroid Plexus by CoN, or Mosley Tribe Gates.

Gates
    [​IMG]

CoN's
    [​IMG]

or ray bans

Squares:
    [​IMG]

2140s
    [​IMG]

Having $100 of coupon at Optical shop of Aspen, I tried on the Gates. They looked neat, but weren't really my style. Ended up with the Boroughs. I'd probably buy the gates over the Ray Bans. Still a classic, but with a bit of a modern twist.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

those sunglasses look awesome, i do want

11. Kill_switch

Kill_switch Senior member

12. capnpyro

capnpyro Senior member

I'm debating getting this one right now Tom Ford Charles [​IMG] I'm iffy on if the gradient is femme or not, they fit like a glove though (and the frame color is palladium, apparently they're made of the stuff). Alternately I might just go with a pair of Ray Ban 3025s (standard aviators)

13. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

[​IMG]
    My Oliver Peoples. Love them.

14. onion

onion Senior member

Just saw these new wood Jil Sander sunglasses on selectism. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. XenoX101

XenoX101 Senior member

Those are quite something, I wonder how the wood will look over time.

16. CityConnection

Just saw these new wood Jil Sander sunglasses on selectism. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Are you sure they are wood? I dont think it is real wood. It is a faux-wood-look. There is a temple wire that is visible. If it was wood, you wouldnt have that wire. Just to let you know, you can achieve the same look by sanding acetate and using acetone to take down the shine. Make sure they are wood, if youre paying top dollars. Also, keep in mind that wood is not adjustable so if its not comforatable now, it wont be later. There are several brands that use real wood, I have only deal with Iyoko Ineyake, but there are other brands too. Hope that helps.

17. onion

onion Senior member

I feel pretty confident they are wood, as that is how Selectism reported it, and they know their stuff.

Blog entry is here.

Also FWIW, the rest of the Jil line will be posted there tomorrow.

18. CityConnection

I feel pretty confident they are wood, as that is how Selectism reported it, and they know their stuff.

Blog entry is here.

Also FWIW, the rest of the Jil line will be posted there tomorrow.

I don't know Selectism all that well, but what I know is, it is almost impossible to bore out a hole in the side of a temple to put the wire in. I haven't even seen clear wood, but maybe there is some. Also, if it was wood, you wouldn't need the temple wire because wood IS NOT adjustable. It's not my money to spend, but I thought I would give you my opinion. I'm not trying to offend you, just trying to help.

19. k4ppah

k4ppah Senior member

Tom Ford has been brought up a few times in this thread, but no one has spoken to the quality at all. Can anyone vouch for him? I really like the 108's (the model featured on Daniel Craig in Quantum...) but I'm not sure they're worth the high asking price.

20. CityConnection

Tom Ford has been brought up a few times in this thread, but no one has spoken to the quality at all. Can anyone vouch for him? I really like the 108's (the model featured on Daniel Craig in Quantum...) but I'm not sure they're worth the high asking price.

Tom Ford has good styles, but I dont know if the quality is worth it's high price tag. For that kind of money I would rather buy 2 pairs of something else. The quality is not worth its $500-600 retail value. For that quality I wouldnt pay more than $300, max.