• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone have any good ebay search terms for scanning vintage frames (pre-lux rayban, persol, etc) that have lenses in pretty bad condition?

I'd be putting in prescription lenses so I should be able to rock a decent discount by buying frames with badly damaged glass (and I noticed the last luxottica pair I felt in a store felt a lot crappier than the 2 pair my dad has worn as long as I can remember)

shademore

Reaction score
Try "vintage B&L ray ban" filter for lowest price first. You'll get a ton of new auctions you'll have to weed through if you don't hit the "Buy it Now" tab.
What models are you after? I have some in my boneyard. PM me for a list.

Check out my Vintage eyewear items
http://stores.ebay.com/The-Eye-Shop
SF members always get a discount. Just ask.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
anyone have any good ebay search terms for scanning vintage frames (pre-lux rayban, persol, etc) that have lenses in pretty bad condition?

I'd be putting in prescription lenses so I should be able to rock a decent discount by buying frames with badly damaged glass (and I noticed the last luxottica pair I felt in a store felt a lot crappier than the 2 pair my dad has worn as long as I can remember)

Be careful as plastics great weaker and "dry" as thy age. I have heard there are ways to remedy it, but I am not sure how. Also, vintage frames made of metal are great but sometimes the solder points are weak. Some are made great and even by hand, but some are a waste of time. Happy frame hunting!

captoe

Reaction score
CC, how are the quality of polo ralph lauren sunglasses? who makes them anyway?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captoe
CC, how are the quality of polo ralph lauren sunglasses? who makes them anyway?

Polo has like 6 lines or something like Ralph, Polo, Ralph Lauren.....and so on. It is made by LUX. Quality is very average. Price point is fair for their quality. It is the same as any other average LUX or SAF brand.

CrispyDuck

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody would be interested in a mint pair of Mosley Tribes Santino sunglasses? Java lenses, gold frames? Sorry if I'm hawking in the wrong thread.

captoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Polo has like 6 lines or something like Ralph, Polo, Ralph Lauren.....and so on. It is made by LUX. Quality is very average. Price point is fair for their quality. It is the same as any other average LUX or SAF brand.

would AO aviators be better by miles? they are 2x the price though. i think the line i was looking at was regular polo. they fit me really well both polo and AO. but the polo is a little more flattering.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by captoe
would AO aviators be better by miles? they are 2x the price though. i think the line i was looking at was regular polo. they fit me really well both polo and AO. but the polo is a little more flattering.

AO would probably be a better built from I wouldn't call them high end. They are just a better built regular frame. If you think the Polo looks better, go for it. Sunglasses are an accessory NOT an investment. Be fun and creative. No need to be over-think things.

FLC groove

Reaction score
Can you id these three sunglasses please?
Fun%20Lovin%20Criminals.jpg

Thanks in advance.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ you've gotta be kidding, right? Nice first post.
lol8[1].gif

FLC groove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
^ you've gotta be kidding, right? Nice first post.
lol8[1].gif

No, i'm serious. Why? Because the glasses aren't identificable? Regards.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get any ID's. If you had a color photo with a close up you might have a chance. Basically though, I don't think most people here would take any notice of any of those (although I could be wrong). Stick around and check out some better options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads