Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. TimH

TimH Senior member

Does anyone know if my 20 years old Rayban Wayfarers can be reshaped and polished. The bridge ? (middle bit) has gone from tortoishell colour to a greyish brown?

2. Gaffos

Gaffos Affiliate vendor

Does anyone know if my 20 years old Rayban Wayfarers can be reshaped and polished. The bridge ? (middle bit) has gone from tortoishell colour to a greyish brown?

We would guess probably not; at that point it's just worth it to buy a new pair

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Can anyone recommend (Ebay) knock-off sunglasses for someone doing the
    tasteful conservative, 30-something preppy/professional look? (slim fit shirts, dress pants, dress shoes, etc)

(ie: Not Ed Hardy, Not Jersey Shore, Not 20s slickster, Not gangster, etc)

4. mhpragematter

mhpragematter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can I get some feedback on these? I like how the wayfarers fit, but at the moment I feel like the all black/silver/gold glasses are a little played out. Think I'll regret the light blue detail in the longrun?

5. dmash

dmash Senior member

1. Do you guys think it's ok to go with black frames and black lenses even if your shoes and belt are brown?

2. What do you guys think of the Salt Terry model?

[​IMG]

6. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

1. Do you guys think it's ok to go with black frames and black lenses even if your shoes and belt are brown?

2. What do you guys think of the Salt Terry model?

[​IMG]

That's a prettty sharp looking pair of shades. While I can't speak to the Terry, I have a couple of pairs of Salts. The Build quality is unparalleled in my experience, and the lenses are second to none.

7. otc

otc Senior member

What does it cost to get prescription sun lenses put into a frame? Will they go in most frames?

How much more for polarized?

I'd like to get some cheap prescription sunglasses from zenni optical or similar for sailing since it is not hard to break them or lose them overboard (racing, not just hanging out on a boat. I don't want to order them from zenni though since they are not polarized (cuts the glare off the water) so I was thinking about getting polarized prescription lenses put into some other frames.

8. Fluery

Fluery Senior member

Anybody know where I can find something similar to this Robert Geller "David" frames? The tortoise shell is the color I want, and that's sold out most places. Also, I don't particularly want to drop $250 on them.

[​IMG]

9. longskate88

longskate88 Senior member

I got polarized polycarbonate lenses put in my Persol black plastic frames...it was around $60.

10. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

I got polarized polycarb lenses put in my Prada frames, and it was $100. After looking at what longskate got his done for, I feel ripped off. But it was a local place that did a great job.

11. otc

otc Senior member

I got polarized polycarb lenses put in my Prada frames, and it was $100. After looking at what longskate got his done for, I feel ripped off. But it was a local place that did a great job.

It looks like he might have gotten a good deal...

I was checking a few random online discount places and don't think I saw any that could give me polarized prescription lenses for $60 (even at the places where the reviews seemed shoddy)...

I guess maybe I will just get a set of Zenni prescription sunglasses and stick with non-prescription polarized stuff on the water.

Also, I was at Gap yesterday and they had what looked like knockoff Clubmasters for $25 but the detailing was gold. Anyone seen these urban outfitters clubmasters in person?
    http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...edProductSize=

They have silver detailing and I might try to find them while I wait for some prescription stuff to come in (but I would rather avoid trips to UO if at all possible)

12. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

The worst part about those is they just look like $5 knockoff wayfarers to the average person.

Maybe that should tell you something.

13. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Can anyone tell me what these are? Its been killing me that I cant find a maker. [​IMG]

14. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Do y'all have any ideas on cool, practical ways to store sunglasses? I've got several pairs now, and I need a good place to store them.