Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Burr130

Burr130 Well-Known Member

Any one have any opinions on the Ray-Ban Folding Wayfarer 4105? Thinking about getting them in the tortoise color..

2. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

[​IMG]

Hello

Can anybody please help me identify these sunglasses?
    Also, are these available anywhere as cheap knockoffs?
    They look a bit like the Ango American AA406 but with tinted lenses.

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance

3. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

This may been mentioned before, but I couldnt find it on the forum... but is SMART BUY GLASSES . COM a legitimate website to make purchases from, or are they sketchy/knockoff style?

4. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Can anyone recommend me a good website for glasses/sunglasses with a liberal return/exchange policy? Most of the ones I've seen are very sport oriented.

5. MaSoB

MaSoB Well-Known Member

I had my thread locked even though there was nothing under the search results...

Oliver Peoples Daddy B

Anything good or bad to say about these glasses?

6. Gaffos

Gaffos Affiliate vendor

This may been mentioned before, but I couldnt find it on the forum... but is SMART BUY GLASSES . COM a legitimate website to make purchases from, or are they sketchy/knockoff style?

Can anyone recommend me a good website for glasses/sunglasses with a liberal return/exchange policy? Most of the ones I've seen are very sport oriented.

Check us out!!

www.gaffos.com

Any one have any opinions on the Ray-Ban Folding Wayfarer 4105? Thinking about getting them in the tortoise color..

We just got a few of these in stock; we like them a lot and the style and obviously the convenience factor of being able to fold them up.

7. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

[​IMG]

Hello

Can anybody please help me identify these sunglasses?
    Also, are these available anywhere as cheap knockoffs?
    They look a bit like the Ango American AA406 but with tinted lenses.

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance

That's a take on a classic Persol look (those aren't actually Persols). Urban Outfitters currently has the knock-offs.

8. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Thank you very much!

9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

can anybody knowledgeable make a post on classic sunglass styles. all i can think of is rayban wayfarers, shuron ronsirs, and persol 714.

10. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

You can't leave aviators and caravans out of that list.

11. HuiggityHuy

HuiggityHuy Member

can anybody knowledgeable make a post on classic sunglass styles. all i can think of is rayban wayfarers, shuron ronsirs, and persol 714.

One rarely-mentioned classic is the American Optical Saratoga (below). These were worn by JFK and were touted by GQ's Style Guy Glenn O'Brien as the "perfect sunglasses". They're similar to Ray-Ban's Wayfarer, but the arms are slimmer and the rims have a different shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. ahe

ahe Senior member

I saw that post in AAAC awhile back, but I don't believe they are made anymore are they?

13. Exit English

Exit English Senior member

One rarely-mentioned classic is the American Optical Saratoga (below). These were worn by JFK and were touted by GQ's Style Guy Glenn O'Brien as the "perfect sunglasses". They're similar to Ray-Ban's Wayfarer, but the arms are slimmer and the rims have a different shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The worst part about those is they just look like $5 knockoff wayfarers to the average person.

14. HuiggityHuy

HuiggityHuy Member

I saw that post in AAAC awhile back, but I don't believe they are made anymore are they?

Yeah, they were discontinued in the 60's but they can be found on eBay and Klasik.org. I might have seen a pair on Allyn Scura too.

The worst part about those is they just look like $5 knockoff wayfarers to the average person.

I agree, that's one reason why I wouldn't shell out for them. But if I were given a choice between these and Wayfarers, I'd roll with the 'Togas (With the exception of the black/crystal/grey fade Wayfarer IIs. I like those).

15. Gaffos

Gaffos Affiliate vendor

What would you like us to tell you about the Ray Ban Wayfarers? We have them in ALL colors..from the regular black or tortoise; to baby blue and yellow!