Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. surftile

surftile New Member

Hi,
    First time poster.
    I just watched "A Perfect Murder" with Michael Douglas and Gwyneth Paltrow.
    Michael wore a pair of retro, maybe 30's style sunglasses, they seem similar to
    "Lafont Jupiter tortoise shell" http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfp...-tclcoi/r.html. I know this is an obscure shot in the dark, but can anyone I.D. them? Thanx.

2. KBW

KBW Senior member

anyone know where I can buy retrosuperfuture flat top in flat black? Nobody has them in stock that I can find. THANKS IA [​IMG]

3. classiccool

classiccool Member

4. illexpreshun

illexpreshun New Member

Those suprefutures are nice.

5. KBW

KBW Senior member

6. sky140885

sky140885 Well-Known Member

getting a classic aviator - 3025 rayban.
    What colors would you choose?

7. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

8. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

i want these or something similar - they aren't from the tom ford line bc the video was shot, i'm assuming, in 02/03-ish right before he was leaving Gucci. to see get a better look go to 7:01 in the video clip and pause. i like how these aviators kind of point down on the sides. i'm having a tough time finding something similar, help . . . [​IMG] [​IMG]
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

9. classiccool

classiccool Member

10. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

Here's a pair I picked up recently. Vintage Ray Ban Outdoorman's with barely any tint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Anyone know what brand Don is wearing in this episode? I know they resemble Randolph Engineering a lot but I'm fairly sure they never made gold frames. Ps: I hate asking what stars are wearing, this be my first time.

[​IMG]

12. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Anyone know what brand Don is wearing in this episode? I know they resemble Randolph Engineering a lot but I'm fairly sure they never made gold frames. Ps: I hate asking what stars are wearing, this be my first time.

[​IMG]

Those are great shades. There was a little discussion in the Mad Men thread about these. The concensus, iirc, is that they are RE or AO, especially with those bayonets, but more towards RE, I think. Why does RE not make gold frames? Do you mean what they make now, or what they would have made as a period piece contemporary with the film period? I don't even think they were around during the period that show depicts, not according to their site.

So it would have to be Bosch and Lomb or American Optical. Both were suppliers of sunglasses to the military. But I think, though I could be wrong, that BL made the rounder aviators and AO those square aviators and AO was supplying more around the Korean War/Vietnam era. So, based on the design and era they would probably be AO.

13. blackclouds

blackclouds Member

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Those are great shades. There was a little discussion in the Mad Men thread about these. The concensus, iirc, is that they are RE or AO, especially with those bayonets, but more towards RE, I think. Why does RE not make gold frames? Do you mean what they make now, or what they would have made as a period piece contemporary with the film period? I don't even think they were around during the period that show depicts, not according to their site.

So it would have to be Bosch and Lomb or American Optical. Both were suppliers of sunglasses to the military. But I think, though I could be wrong, that BL made the rounder aviators and AO those square aviators and AO was supplying more around the Korean War/Vietnam era. So, based on the design and era they would probably be AO.

Thanks, you the man. I should hit ebay and see if I can find some through an American Optical search

15. andy s.

andy s. Member

this may seem like an odd query, but i need a pair of sunglasses that i can hide in. something that i can put on when i dont feel like talking to anyone (drunk or sober haha) and just escaping. right now i'm thinking super classics in black. something simple, probably wayfarer style, dark lens, dark frame that will cover most of my peripheral vision. suggestions?

p.s. i dont consider myself a "celebrity" or anything, just a tad wacky.